Upgrading 16 RAM voids apple warranty - 'traceable if switched back'?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jess112, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Jess112 macrumors newbie

Hi there,

Video editing and rendering has become a long drag on my 8GB ram.

Currently worries about installing my 16GB as Apple representatives keeps reinforcing so strongly that it voids the warranty that I currently have on my macbook, i still have 2 years warranty and at the moment won't be able to afford any expensive repairs on my macbook should any hardware fails arise after i install 16GB

I was thinking that if i needed a repair to switch the 8GB back in and take the 16GB out, though Apple tech representative also stated that they can trace 'technical footprints' on my system and also see if any memory outwith the max has been tried and installed/used even if i switch back to the 8GB! Is this true or are they just bluffing?

I know a lot of people have upgraded their 8Gb to 16GB anyway and just wanted to ask anyone for their experience on this or advice on this as there must be lots of people in a similar situation or have been through this! Does it really have to be a choice between long covered warranty/slow mac vs. speedy RAM/no warranty even though you have 2 years left.

Thanks

2. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

Uhhhh, I'm pretty sure that replacing the RAM in a cMBP does NOT void the warranty. The only thing that does come into play, is that if you wish to get service under warranty, you'd have to put the original RAM back in.

3. Jess112 thread starter macrumors newbie

yes i thought that it could be switched back but the apple representative tech guy says they can see and trace whether any ram has been changed over the maximum and therefore still voids warranty even if u do switch back to the 8GB?

4. aristobrat macrumors G5

I'm sure there's some system log somewhere that shows previous boots, so it's not impossible they can tell if you had 16GB of RAM in there.

Regarding the warranty, if you swap out RAM yourself, there is no Apple warranty on the new RAM (obviously), and no Apple warranty on any damage you may cause by swapping the RAM yourself. (i.e. your system was asleep vs. turned off when you swapped the sticks).

Other than that, your other Apple warranties are in effect.

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

You, my friend, have had your legged pulled. Hard.

6. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Yeah, maybe something changed but my worst experience was sending in a laptop and having it come back with the 3rd party ram uninstalled and sitting on the side.

7. Jess112 thread starter macrumors newbie

was your laptop still repaired under the warranty? or did you have to pay because it was voiding it?

8. skitzogreg macrumors 6502

skitzogreg

Yeah, I'm not sure where this information came from. I've sent in for multiple repairs by putting the original RAM back in. They won't, however, warrant any damage done by the new RAM and won't service it if the new RAM is in there. Same thing with hard drives.

9. SimonTheSoundMa macrumors 6502a

Hard drive and RAM are both user serviceable in the unibody MBP. The guarantee will be void if you damage the other parts or the part you installed causes damage.

I've even changed batteries and the genius knew, Apple didn't care that I did this.

Apple I doubt will void any guarantee on the machine if the RAM took out the logic board for example. You may have to pay to get it repaired, but I doubt they'll void everything.

10. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

I've had warranty work done with 3rd party RAM installed. No problem as long as it meets spec.

11. Jess112, Nov 1, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2013

Jess112 thread starter macrumors newbie

Can upgrading RAM from 8GB to 16GB be overkill and cause even HD failure?

i have done the installation, i hope my macbook won't break!

12. Ih8reno macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

I've brought my 2011 pro in to see an apple genius he saw I had 16 gb ram and said it doesn't void anything so not to worry about changing it.

13. Binomio macrumors member

Installing 16GB will not void warranty unless you or the memory sticks damage the logic board. Apple will now replace defective third party RAM (and send it back to you) if you go through the mail-in repair.

14. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Yeah...I mean they put the directions to swap out ram in the manual.

15. goMac macrumors 603

Sometimes before repair they make you swap it back, but it most certainly doesn't violate warranty.

16. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

I had my logic board replaced on my MBP with a HD and RAM I installed myself. I told the Apple store employee I had just to make sure I got them back and he said ok and it worked out just fine.