Upgrading 2002 Quicksilver from Jaguar to Tiger clean, keeping OS 9.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
I have an old Jaguar installation on the Macintosh HD of my shiny new Power Mac G4 1GHz DP. It also currently has a bootable version of Mac OS 9.2.2. I am backing up the contents of this drive to an external USB drive as I write this.

What I want is a FRESH install of Tiger, along with a bootable version of Mac OS 9.2.2.

I have a full set of Tiger retail disks, and all the restore disks that originally came with the machine itself. Thank you Macintosh Garden for the latter!

What i would like to know is, what is the order/approach I should take in order to achieve what I want?

(P.S. Is it possible to copy the Macintosh HD contents in it's current Jaguar form, clean install Tiger Retail disks, and then simply paste the Mac OS 9 files from the Jaguar install right into the Tiger HD? It seems too easy and sounds like there would be a ton of bad associations and whatnot. Just a thought.)

bunnspecial

macrumors 604
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
What I personally would do is install a second hard drive then format and install Tiger on it. You could then continue to boot from the current OS 9 system folder on the already installed HDD, and even use that folder for Classic in Tiger.

If you want a "fresh start" with no remnants of old files or programs , use the restore disks to wipe the current drive and install 9.2.2 and 10.2. Then use your Tiger disk to upgrade 10.2 to 10.4.

weckart

macrumors 601
Nov 7, 2004
The easiest way is to get hold of this disk, which is part of the QS set. There should also be a separate Applications disk.

That way, you can ignore Jaguar and just install Tiger fresh. Boot and install OS9 and add whatever stock applications you want.

Attachments

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
The easiest way is to get hold of this disk, which is part of the QS set. There should also be a separate Applications disk.

That way, you can ignore Jaguar and just install Tiger fresh. Boot and install OS9 and add whatever stock applications you want.
Oh, I think that disc is included with the macintosh garden collection!

This might be the easiest way alright, thanks :)

----------

What I personally would do is install a second hard drive then format and install Tiger on it. You could then continue to boot from the current OS 9 system folder on the already installed HDD, and even use that folder for Classic in Tiger.

If you want a "fresh start" with no remnants of old files or programs , use the restore disks to wipe the current drive and install 9.2.2 and 10.2. Then use your Tiger disk to upgrade 10.2 to 10.4.
Not a bad idea either. I really should get a second IDE drive. They are dirt cheap there days. Maybe a 250GB or something.