Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Madlamz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2010
My gf will be getting herself a MBA for school/travel. She currently has a 2010 13" MBP...since she'll hardly be using it anymore we decided to swap our MBPs...how much of a speed bump should i expect with this new badboy? I intend on bumping up the ram to 8gb and putting in a new 7200rpm HDD.

I have:
2009 13" MBP
2.4ghz Intel C2D
4gb ram
Nvidea 9400m
250gb HDD @ 5400rpm

I WILL have:
2010 13" MBP
2.4ghz Intel C2D
8gb ram
Nvidea 320m
320gb HDD @7200rpm

yusukeaoki

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
To be honest, not much upgrade.
However, the RAM and graphic is a great improvement.
CPU wasn't a big change.

If you only do mild computer usage (unlike intensive such as photoshop, video editing), you wouldnt notice the difference.

The 7200rpm drive is faster than 5400, but highly unnoticeable.
Save up and try getting a SSD or optibay.

madonionrings

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2007
None.

However 2009 to 2011 will be a vast difference.

But thats only if you do more then just surf the web

Madlamz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2010
I don't want to invest in a SSD until i get a completely new MBP, By that time they'll become more stable and the prices will surely get better, but to be honest the most intensive thing ill be doing on this thing is probably playing Diablo 3. I just want the feel and zippyness of a new laptop...the ram, hdd and graphics card upgrade will do for now.

NickZac

macrumors 68000
Dec 11, 2010
I don't want to invest in a SSD until i get a completely new MBP, By that time they'll become more stable and the prices will surely get better, but to be honest the most intensive thing ill be doing on this thing is probably playing Diablo 3. I just want the feel and zippyness of a new laptop...the ram, hdd and graphics card upgrade will do for now.

You aren't going to see a difference. The CPUs are the same P8600 Penryn, and the RAM speed is the same. Perhaps you may see some difference in gaming but for general usage, you probably will not notice a difference. It is essentially the same machine. The 8GB of RAM you may notice a difference but that depends on what you do. A 7200 RPM over the OE 250 HDD...it won't be very noticeable. If you want "zippyness" the only way to go is a SSD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.