Upgrading 2012 macbook hard drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MikeK88, Jan 22, 2015.

1. MikeK88 macrumors newbie

Hi,

Long story short my macbook is out of warranty and the hard drive failed (according to apple themselves). They said all that was required was a straight hard drive swap but would cost £110. I bought a hard drive myself and went to replace it however when I start up the macbook it cannot see the new hard drive?

The hard drive I purchased is a Samsung st500lm012 and it said it was compatible with my MacBook. From looking at the hard drive itself I notice it seems have some sort of connector which the MacBook cable doesnt have a connection for. On the picture it's the one at the far left. Have I bought the wrong hard drive?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That is a standard laptop SATA drive and should work fine. How did you boot after installing the drive? You will need to boot from another disk or Internet recovery and from there format the drive with Disk Utility then install the OS. Have you tried that?

3. MikeK88 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea I booted into internet recovery and went to disk utility to format the drive, but disk utility can't see it. It shows the SuperDrive and also the recovery drive.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That drive should work. Sounds like either a bum drive or it is possible the drive cable is bad. If you put the old drive in can Diks Util see it?

Do you happen to have an external enclosure you could put the new drive in to see if DU can see it in there?

5. MikeK88 thread starter macrumors newbie

It's possible the drive cable is bad because I had a similar issue a year ago but apple fixed that, they said it's definitely the hard drive because they tried one of theirs in store and it worked. I tried the old hard drive in and it can't be seen either, but this was the original issue that made me take it to apple (folder with the question mark).

I haven't got an external enclosure unfortunately but I've got an old laptop lying around so I could try this new hard drive in there and see if it can be found.

Thanks for your help, just wanted to make sure I hadn't bought the wrong type of hard drive!