Upgrading 32gb to 64gb please help!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by david19801, Aug 31, 2012.

1. david19801 macrumors member

Hello,

I have the 32gb and it is now full with my apps and files.

I want to buy a 64gb ipad to replace this 32gb one

Some of these apps are not available anymore on the app store and that is part of the problem.

How can I transfer everything from this 32gb to the 64 gb without losing any of the apps and files and settings? I want the 64gb one to be exactly like this one but have more space.

How can I do this? What's the best way to do this?

Thank you for your help.

Both of them are not jailbroke.

2. Cutterschoice macrumors member

If you have iTunes, you can just plug it in, right click and transfer purchase, then plug the new one in and copy them all over.

3. david19801 thread starter macrumors member

Will that copy my settings and notes and movies too?

Thank you for helping.

4. Cutterschoice macrumors member

I think with notes some apps you can copy straight across, there's a box just under the apps like this:

[​IMG]

Might mean you have to move them accross one by one, as for movies, i think it only transfers them on itunes if they were bought through itunes, but it shoule just open a folder in my computer, where you can copy them across and then transfer them to the new iPad, it's a bit of hassle, but i went from a 16 to 32 and glad i did it. Although i recently cleared mine out and made a far bit of space.

5. david19801 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you cuttlechoice.

I have 800 apps. Is there any other way that will take less time?

Can I take an image or something and use that for a total transfer thing?

I have not activated icloud.

6. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

If you have iTunes set up to automatically sync with your iPad, you can just backup the device through iTunes, connect the new iPad in and restore from that backup. Everything that is on your current iPad will transfer over, including notes, settings and what not. The only things that may not transfer over is if you have apps on your iPad that are not in iTunes. Then those will be missing from the new device.

The process can take some time, but I just plug it in and let it do its thing.

7. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

The backup suggestion is the best way to go.

Backup to old 32GB iPad to iTunes on your computer. (Plug in the iPad, then Right click on the old iPad name and select "Back Up")

You can restore that backup onto your 64GB iPad by right clicking on the new iPad name and selecting "Restore from Backup..."

This is a "total image" not a "sync". It will still take a bit of time if you have 30+ gigabytes of stuff to move around.

8. david19801 thread starter macrumors member

I'm scared to connect my ipad to itunes. I've only connected once when I got it first. I read online that if you connect the ipad to itunes sometimes it can randomly delete your photos.

Is this true? How to stop this?

9. Eddy Munn macrumors 6502

Eddy Munn

Nope.

10. takeshi74 macrumors 601

As always, consider the source. There are all sorts of random claims out there on the internet.