upgrading 3gs to 4.0 - restore or "setup as new iphone"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hambones, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Hambones macrumors member

When new phone arrives Thurs, do you do a restore from my current 3gs (with 4.0) or setup new iphone and then just do a sync with everything fresh?

Figured fresh but wouldn't want to lose the folder stuff I did tonight...

Suggestions? Thanks.

2. ref26 macrumors 6502a

ref26

Up to you, but I will be restoring from my iPod Touch because I don't want to lose my game progress etc.

3. Hambones thread starter macrumors member

Just wasn't sure how restoring would work as the version of 4.0 OS is different on the 3gs compared to the iphone 4.

4. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

There can be/has been in the past some minor issues with restoring from an older backup since it is a major OS upgrade, but the only way to find out is to either wait until people start posting about it or just try it yourself. Personally, I always just set up as a new phone, but then again I also don't play games with potential progress loss.

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

It all comes down to whether you care about game saves or text messages (sorry, but I’ve never understood why people want to keep these). If those don’t matter, setup as new (just make sure you’ve synced what can be synced).

6. saucy1360 macrumors regular

i think I'll just do a restore, unless someone uncovers some huge problem with using that type of transition from a 3GS to a 4... it definitely will not take as long as setting the phone up from scratch, which can be a huge pain.

7. Smtevo macrumors 6502

I am going to start fresh with my new iPhone 4, my question is that I had slacker grandfathered In on my olf phone so I didn't have to pay for it...how do I get it on my new phone without have to pay for it?

8. Smtevo macrumors 6502