Upgrading 4GB RAM???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by seong, Aug 26, 2010.

1. seong macrumors 65816

seong

Hi all.
    I just went to the Apple store, and my friend (actually she is older than I am, like 15 years in difference. Just got friendly, so I call her 'friend') suggested me 100$ for 4GB upgrade. She told me that it's not possible to upgrade the RAM after the payment, but she is able to do it for me.
    I'm always paranoid wether the Apple employees will give me the 'older' RAMs or 'used' ones. Should I be? or just trust the employee who will swap it for me.

If I have a choice, I would like to install the new RAM for myself. Is that possible in the Apple store?

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You can get it done at the store. And I'm pretty sure it's illegal to sell you used RAM as new. And "older" RAM won't work, so I don't think that's a concern.

And the price is alright.

3. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

4. RedReplicant macrumors 6502a

5. oplix macrumors 65816

oplix

Why do you feel like you need an extra 4GB of RAM when you are not likely to max out the 4GB you have already? Do you do video/graphic intensive work? If not, it's unlikely you will see any real benefit from having extra RAM.

6. RedReplicant macrumors 6502a

He's got the Mid-09 that comes with 2gb of ram, which is very easy to max out.
    edit: Unless is he talking about buying a new one and upgrading to 8gb. Broken english ;)

7. oplix macrumors 65816

oplix

Oh I see.

8. seong thread starter macrumors 65816

seong

Thx guys.
    Yeah, I have 2GB of RAM, I do video/graphic intensive stuff, plus some gaming on bootcamp. It's hard to multitask (iPhoto+Photoshop+Maya 2010 at the same time).
    Since it sounds good (and from alphaod's confirmation) I'll give it a try.