iPhone XS Max Upgrading 5s to which Xs? Standard or Max?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DaveN, Nov 7, 2018.

?

iPhone 5s to Xs or Xs Max

1. Xs

17 vote(s)
    73.9%
  2. Xs Max

6 vote(s)
    26.1%
  1. DaveN macrumors 6502a

DaveN

I'm upgrading my 5s and stopped by a local Apple Store to test the Xs and Xs Max. I like both but coming from a 5s im wondering if I will get accustomed to the larger size. I find that I use my 5s one handed most of the time and can do the same with the Xs but not the max. If you moved from a smaller phone to the Xs, which did you choose and if you chose the max did you get accustomed to the larger size?

2. Fthree macrumors 6502a

The 5s is amazing. You will def appreciate the Xs max though. I feel that the newer edge to edge iPhones are now complete (length and widthwise) I had the X and felt the symmetry wasn't 100% right with it. Having the width added to then Max has made it great. It will be a radical change from what you are used to however.

3. startergo macrumors 6502

startergo

I have upgraded 5s to OnePlus 6T. Feels great! :)

4. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68000

BugeyeSTI

I went from 5, 5s, 6s and finally the X. I’m just not a plus sized person. X is the sweet spot for me, 6s size with a 5.8 screen..

5. ATC macrumors 6502a

If you care at all about one-handed use then the XS for sure.

6. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

No matter what the size of the iPhone was, I always find myself using two hands to type, unless I am just web browsing or surfing, then I use one hand. But ultimately, I enjoy the Max size ratio, as I really appreciate the larger display and having _more_ surface area to view more content. But either way, you have 14 days to see what you would like best.

7. givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

8. DaveN thread starter macrumors 6502a

DaveN

I didn't realize you can exchange it within a 14 day window. Thanks for everyone's input so far.

9. DaveN thread starter macrumors 6502a

DaveN

Well, against the advice of the majority, I just ordered the Max. Why? A couple of reasons. I'm of the age where I need reading glasses and this way I'll be able to make the text larger and still have more than a few words on the screen. I'm a big guy with big hands so maybe I'll get used to the reach issue. I'm going to use the phone with the controller for the Anafi drone and extra screen real estate helps in that situation if it fits in the controller (it will be close). Finally, if it doesn't work out, my sister likes big phones and I can give it to her if it doesn't work for me. She no longer buys new phones after setting her new phone on the trunk of her old convertible Triumph before going for a scenic drive. Never did find it after that and we looked.

10. draa macrumors member

draa

Good choice! That way you probably don’t have to take out your reading glasses that often. Have fun with your max!

11. lyutin macrumors regular

Ill be honest with you. As beautiful as the Max is, its unwillingly hard to handle - especially if you are used to single hand operation. I have had 5, 5s, 6, 6s plus and finally 7 plus earlier. And while I like bigger screens I typically have coffee or in general rather feel like the phone is secured while in my hand/hands. I coulndn't get used to the max (and thats after using the 7 plus for 2 years), you understand 7 plus is a big phone - well max felt bigger especially since the top and bottom are all glass and have functional area now (earlier plus versions did not). So I ended up returning the max for the standard and I am happy I did that. You on the other hand have even small unit now - so moving on to the max may even be harder. Both of the xs screen are gorgeous and I wish they had 6.1-6.2 between them, but I am happy with standard Xs.

12. DaveN thread starter macrumors 6502a

DaveN

I hear you. I am quite accustomed to one handed operation and that is my fear. That said, if it doesn't work out for me I plan on giving it to my older sister. She had a fall which resulted in one hand having limited mobility (still getting better and still has a chance at full recovery). Because of this, she is a two handed phone user and this would make a nice gift if it doesn't work for me.

13. dark_thor macrumors newbie

dark_thor

honestly i don't know why you guys complain about one handed use ! I am a guy and I have quite small hands! At the beginning Max looked huge and as I was accostumed to iphone 7, it was difficult to use ! But after a while I can use it with one hand and I really appreciate the extra screen ! But yeah bottom line is a big phone , but not that big as people make it!

14. rillrill macrumors 6502a

rillrill

Hey. I kind of did the same thing. SE to Max. In the first week I wanted to go back and get the XS. Don’t give in. Give it 2 weeks and you will just adjust to the size and how you hold the thing.

15. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

Using the big phones is not a big issue for me. My concern is transportation. Does it comfortably fit in your pockets?

16. dark_thor macrumors newbie

dark_thor

Honestly , I am a guy who wears skinny jeans and it fits perfectly fine ;)

17. DaveN thread starter macrumors 6502a

DaveN

Will do. My trial starts tomorrow.

18. FreddyKrueger macrumors newbie

Switched from 5s to XR: too big. Changed with XS: still a bit big but fine at the moment.
    Why not a mini XR of 5,5" - 5"? Why apple why!!!

From a XR persective, walking with it in your pocked is fine, even with skinny jeans, the problem is when you're sitting, for example driving or even worse, when cycling: too long and nails in the groin too much. I always carry the phone on my pocket, so definitely big phones aren't for me.

19. dark_thor macrumors newbie

dark_thor

I have XS Max and I cycle with skinny jeans many times! No problems til now