Upgrading 8 core 2.26ghz cpu?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by psingh01, Oct 25, 2009.

1. psingh01 macrumors 65816

This is purely hypothetical since I don't have a MP, but can the xeons be upgraded one at a time? For example have an 8 core with one 2.26 and one 2.93 running at once? Or do both xeons have to be running at the same speed? It'd save a user some money to stagger the upgrades.

2. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

There is some scope in running different CPUs in the system but I don't know how much there is. I read in an Intel document that running unmatched CPUs will increase undocumented errata. So the gap will undoubtedly degrade system reliability and stability. I don't think that someone has tested the limits you are pursuing.

3. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Yes, both have to be the same GHz speed.

And as was said, the batch numbers should also be identical because of possible bug fixes/alterations between batches...

4. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

No. They must be a matched pair.

5. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

I do not agree. I have read at least one user report about mismatched CPUs. I'm sure there is some potential to do this but I don't know the limit.

Unfortunately the replacement procedure is too risky to experiment with these things. If the socket had clamps I would do it but the clamp less sockets can easily let you make a 2000$ mistake.

6. Spacedust macrumors 6502a

It's not true. I'm running two Xeon's with different steppings (different voltages) and everything is working fine.

7. nanofrog macrumors G4

It's technically possible to use mismatched CPU's, but you can run into issues (it's not a guarantee you will though). But a matched set solves potential issues, assuming it's possible to get them at the same time (namely the same steppings; exact P/N's will give you this, but it's not W55xx for example, but Intel's numbers off the ark site - 4 letter scheme that accompanies the W/E/Xyyyy, such as SLAN for example). It will give the details as to a tray or retail package, and the stepping information. Not hard, as if you order the same exact part from a vendor, it will almost always be the same (same palate/tray, from the same production batch).

Up to you, but if you can save the funds to purchase both at the same time, you'll be in a better situation.