Upgrading a 1,1 with x5160's. Tools needed.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by GlynJones, Sep 5, 2010.

1. GlynJones macrumors 6502

Hi,
    A couple of weeks ago I bought a used 1,1 Mac Pro Quad 2.0 with the intension of removing the 2.0 and upgrading to 3.0.

I bought a couple of used x5160's and I've got all the instructions etc to do the upgrade. I've built a few PC's in my time so hopefully finger crossed this will be no problem.

I'm looking for a supplier in the UK which can sell the long-handled, magnetized 3 mm flathead hex screwdriver mentioned in the instructions. Do any of you guys know where I can get one? If not what have you guys used to get at these hex bolts?

Also tips would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Glyn Jones.

2. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

have you checked ifixit? they have a pretty neat screwdriver set.

3. jmaa macrumors newbie

All you need is a screwdriver that takes bits, and at least 15 cm extender to it. Worked for me.

4. GlynJones thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks jmaa, I've read up on your install as part of my prep work. I do have an extendable screwdriver that has a bit holder for a 3mm hex bit. The socket is 8mm in diameter. Will this fit or will it be too wide? If it fits then I don't have to buy another tool :)

Thanks.

5. jmaa macrumors newbie

I can't find my extender to measure the diameter, however the socket in my screwdriver (the protected red one in the pictures) has a socket of 13 mm, which is just a little too wide to fit in (would've made no difference however, since its length 12,5 cm is too short). From the pictures my best guess is the socket of my extender is about 1 cm. It was a good fit; your 8 mm should fit in with no problems.

6. GlynJones thread starter macrumors 6502

Mine can extend to 14 cm including the bit. Will this be enough?

7. jmaa macrumors newbie

8. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

I just measured the diameter of the magnetic screwdriver shaft that I used and it's 9.5 mm, so your 8 mm one should be fine.

I can't help with the length requirement though. At 200 mm, mine was plenty long enough.

9. chych macrumors member

Happened to have exactly the right torx screw driver at work (it's a torx T15 bolt, not a hex bolt, but hex drivers can fit), so borrowed that and used it when I upgraded mine with 5160s. It was just a "normal" sized screw driver, nothing too long or fancy. I followed anandtech's method to remove the processors, which entailed removing the front fan module and some plastic in the memory cage, allowing access to the screws with the screw driver from the side (rather than top down), and allowing a much shorter screwdriver to go in.

Also the screw driver doesn't have to be magnetized, the torx screws on the heat sink have a latching mechanism such that you can't take them off.

anandtech link:
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/2079/3

10. GlynJones thread starter macrumors 6502

11. GlynJones thread starter macrumors 6502