Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xandros

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2010
So, I've got a single processor 1.25GHz MDD from June 2003. I've often thought it might be quite nice to somehow obtain the dual processor from somewhere or other that was offered with this computer as a built-to-order option and swap it out. So i have two questions.

Firstly, I do boot OS 9 with this machine on occasion, I dual boot with 9.2.2 and 10.5.8. Presumably having a dual processor in the machine won't be a problem for OS 9 booting?

Secondly, and most importantly, does it matter what 1.25GHz dual processor I put in the machine? For instance do I have to get the dual processor that was specifically offered with the June 2003 Mirror Drive Door, or can I instead nick the 1.25GHz dual processor that was in the earlier August 2002 Mirror Drive Door G4?

Thanks.

ThunderSnake

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2010
Firstly, I do boot OS 9 with this machine on occasion, I dual boot with 9.2.2 and 10.5.8. Presumably having a dual processor in the machine won't be a problem for OS 9 booting?

There will be no problems with OS 9. Applications that are multi-processor aware, like Photoshop (but not all filters), will even see a performance boost. Leopard, of course, will make very good use of the extra CPU.

Secondly, and most importantly, does it matter what 1.25GHz dual processor I put in the machine? For instance do I have to get the dual processor that was specifically offered with the June 2003 Mirror Drive Door, or can I instead nick the 1.25GHz dual processor that was in the earlier August 2002 Mirror Drive Door G4?

It does not matter in terms of compatibility. Any dual 1.25GHz MDD or FW800 module will be work. However, in terms of performance, dual 1.25GHz CPU modules pulled from FW800 models will have only 1MB of Level 3 cache. An August 2002 model should have the full 2MB, though. If you've never done this before, here is a good tutorial on applying fresh thermal compound.

At similar price points, I'd try to get one with 2MB cache. Also, you can sometimes find good deals on the dual 1.42GHz modules. Keep an eye out for those too.

ThunderSnake

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2010
BTW, a good tip for eBaying for a dual 1.42 module is to use "1.4" as a search term. This is how it's printed on the sticker on the module and this is the way that high volume salvage sellers often list them. They know that it's an Apple part so they know that it isn't worthless, but they don't know exactly how much it's worth and usually start the bidding at $25 or so. People who know what they are and are looking for them usually use "1.42" as a search term and never even see these listings. If you have patience and check every day for a few weeks, I can just about guarantee that you'll pick one up for the going rate of a dual 1.25 module.

Xandros

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2010
Interesting, thank you for that. I may very well go for a 1.42GHz dual instead in that case. I'm not too fussed really, I suppose I'll just be searching for one or the other and get whichever one comes up first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.