Upgrading a 2010 13" Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jv311, Dec 23, 2012.

1. jv311 macrumors newbie

so, I have a 13" macbook pro from early 2010. The specs are:
    Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Memory 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
    Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB
    Software OS X 10.8.2

I've been thinking about adding a 256GB SSD, replacing the CD Drive with a HDD caddy and turning them into a fusion drive. My question is: will I see a significant boost in performance with these upgrades? I've noticed that the computer isn't as efficient as it could be. I'm pretty sure most of the performance bottleneck is coming from the Core 2 Duo processor. I bought my computer in January of 2010 and Apple updated it's Macbook Pro line in March of the same year. Bummer.
    Anyways, I edit a lot of RAW images in Lightroom and Photoshop CS6. Even with 8GB of RAM editing pictures makes the computer feel sluggish.Oh, and I don't use any video editing programs. Just pictures.

Would it be good to install the SSD/HDD caddy? Or should I just save my money and purchase a new computer?

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Depends - If you are going to go to a retina then just save your money. If you are going to a cMBP then you can buy a SSD that will run in the new MBP or still wait and save your money.

You will see an increase in performance - but if the problems are a bottleneck with the CPU then you will need an upgrade.