Upgrading a G4 Mini

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by chefhow, Oct 13, 2008.

  1. chefhow macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2008
    #1
    I have an opportunity to get a Mini G4 for $200. It is an older version with 256 RAM and a 40gig HD running Tiger. Can I upgrade to 1gb of RAM and a larger HD and then upload Leopard on it or is it even worth it?
     
  2. stukdog macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2004
    #2
    You can do all three of those upgrades without too much trouble.

    I'd do some pricing out though. Once you add those three upgrades, you may have about the same amount needed for a new Intel mini.
     
  3. G5power macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2005
    #3
    I agree with Stukdog that much money for upgrades will bump the price up.

    Remember that the G4 mini only has the one memory slot while the Intel models have two slots.

    It might be beneficial for you to watch tomorrows Apple announcements. If they happen to update or eliminate the current line of mini's you can jump on the Apple refurb site and grab a good close out price on the existing mini.
     
  4. IroquoisPliskin macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2008
    #4
    Yes, wait until the end of today at the very least.
     
  5. cMacSW macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2006
    #5
    1 gig memory and a 160 Gig drive will run about $100 at newegg. This brings your total up to $300 which is far less than you'll find a intel mini for. I'm running Leopard on a mini but if you don't need any specific features of Leopard, you may want to run 10.4.x it was a little faster for me. I do agree that you should wait and see what happens today.
     
  6. nick9191 macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2008
    Location:
    Britain
  7. chefhow thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2008
    #7
    No copy of Leopard at this point, has anyone heard anything about Mini's or iMacs today? Is this all about the MB's?
     
  8. nick9191 macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2008
    Location:
    Britain
    #8
    Just Macbooks unfortunately (and what a disappointment that was).

    The hard drive, RAM, and copy of Leopard will set you back $250. You might as well just put the money towards a new Mini, which will be tremendously faster.
     
  9. IroquoisPliskin macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2008
    #9
    Somebody should have grilled Jobs about the Mini in the Q&A. :mad:

    If they had updated it with the 9400M graphics, DDR3 ram and Penryn CPU I would be buying one first thing in the morning. Now the Mini is not one but TWO generations behind!
     
  10. wpc33 macrumors 6502

    wpc33

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2006
    Location:
    Vancouver, BC
    #10
    This January, the minis will be either severely updated, or discontinued entirely. It is truly, by now, at an impasse.
     
  11. nick9191 macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2008
    Location:
    Britain
    #11
    Actually its about 4 gens behind.

    Macbook had a 1.83Ghz and 2.0Ghz Core 2 Duo with the same Nappa board back in November 06.

    Next was 2.0 and 2.16 Nappa, next was 2.0 and 2.2 Santa Rosa, Next was 2.1 and 2.4 Penryn, next was yesterday.
     

Share This Page