Upgrading a jailbroke 3g to 3.0?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by FortWorthMac, Jun 15, 2009.

1. FortWorthMac macrumors 6502a

Hello all,

I have a jailbroken 3g iphone and was wondering if there is any special procedure in place to upgrade to the 3.0 software when it's released Wednesday. I know that I will lose being jailbroken but that's not a huge issue. 3.0 will be jailboken soon enough.

Thanks

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The update simply removes the jailbreak; nothing more, nothing special, I believe.

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I restored my JB 3G iPhone, made sure that I did a backup; then double-clicked the 3.0 ipsw file, went to iTunes and pressed alt/option key and selected update. The install of 3.0 took about 15 minutes and synced everything as if it was a new iPhone. Pretty fast and definitely nice upgrade, but I miss the JB option. As soon as they JB for 3.0 comes out, I'll be back to JB 3GS iPhone.....:cool::cool::cool:

4. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

Right.
    Tallest Skil, I usually don't see you in the iPhone forums, anything new?:)

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Oh, like about 3.0?

Well, my update to it took less time than most, I guess (3 minutes).

I updated from jailbroken/unlocked 2.2 on an iPhone 2G that had never been officially activated from AT&T (had it since Day One), and it remained activated after the update. The jailbreak is gone, as evidenced by the removal of Cydia, but my O2 SIM is still recognized and the Carriers menu shows up in Preferences (I'm in Indiana and got the O2 SIM when I was in Ireland last fall).

I cannot test if I still have cell reception, as I'm not in a place that the SIM can pick up anything, so I might even still be unlocked.

6. FortWorthMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks all.

So then confirm, as long as I have a current backup of my iphone, which I will, the 3.0 upgrade process will also restore all my current data. At least in theory. :)