Upgrading a Jailbroken phone to iOS 7

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by datapolitical, Sep 18, 2013.

1. datapolitical macrumors member

datapolitical

So I want to unjailbreak my iPhone 5 running 6.1. I'd prefer not to lose anything (other than the jailbroken apps of course). From my reading, the correct way is to sync the device, make sure it does a backup. Then restore to the latest firmware (7.0).

Is this correct, am I missing any steps? I want to be absolutely certain I do this right.

2. georgi0 macrumors regular

georgi0

yes me too.
    i cant do it.

i end up with errors with or without restore

any ideas?

3. Tinototem macrumors member

I wanted to upgrade my jailbroken iPhone 5 with iOS 6.

Before i did this i made sure to both backup my iphone with iTunes and iCloud.

Tried just upgrading it from iTunes but got some unknown error 6 (?).
    What i did then is i put my phone in DFU mode, restored it to iOS 7 and then restored my backup i just took. Worked like a charm. Had to do the same approach from iOS 5 to iOS 6.

4. munakib macrumors 6502

That is correct, sync (basically backup). "Restore" the device and you should be good. My advice as always would be to stick to the jailbreak, iOS7 isnt as tempting as its made out to be.

5. ali.mofadal macrumors member

ali.mofadal

I used Semi-Restore to remove the Jailbreak but it only made my iPhone 4S unusable, after that I did a clean restore to iOS6, update to iOS7 then do a backup restore and everything came back :)

6. Jamesroy macrumors newbie

I have a jailbroken iPhone 5. My new gold, 64gb 5s is being delivered tomorrow. My computer has been busted for weeks so my phone is my primary "computer." I need to transfer all my vids, pics, etc. Whats the best way to do that? (I have access to a friends iTunes to backup, etc.) Do I just backup in iTunes, plug in new 5s, and restore from backup? Or backup, plug in new 5s, setup as new device, then restore from backup. I don't want to drag needless jailbrake files over, or screw up the new phone. Any help?

7. kaielement macrumors 65816

Depending on how much info you have could use icloud you get 5gb for free and no need to use friends computer. If it comes down to a lot of info iTunes might just be the way.