Upgrading a Jailbroken unlocked phone

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by carfac, Jul 13, 2011.

1. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

I see all the instructions for using blackrain to jailbrake this, or ultrasnow to unlock that.... I am not sure what I need to do. I would appreciate you letting me know what it is I want to do!

I have a 3GS, currently Jailbroken and Unlocked. I am on TMobile in US.

I have version 4.1 (8B117), carrier 8.0 modem firmware 5.13.04

Obviously, I need to stay JB and unlocked... what is the newest version I can upgrade to, and how do I do that? Do I follow the unlock path, the JB path, or what should I do to upgrade?

Thank you!

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

so not to try and confuse you but the version is really refered to as the firmware, and the modem firmware is refered to as the baseband

not familar with the 3GS but if its anything like the iphone4 the baseband is what lets you unlock it so i would highly suggest perserving the baseband if you really need to update the firmware

is there a reason you want to update from 4.1 or are you just curious

3. carfac thread starter macrumors 65816

carfac

I am having a GPS problem. Used to be just fine... but recently, some of my apps have had a problem locking on to a GPS. (I am a runner, and using Nike plus and MapMyFitness to help track my pace while running. TO do that, I need accurate GPS!).

I thought by resetting everything, maybe I could clear out the copbwebs and get things running smooth again.

Perhaps you think I should just reinstall the 4.1?

4. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

i would wait untill someone else responds with expierence with the 3GS, restoring or upgrading could update the baseband if you dont do it right and that could casue you to lose the unlock which would make things much worse then your current situation

5. carfac thread starter macrumors 65816

carfac

6. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

When you do upgrade, use pwnage or snowbreeze to create a custom iOS that you install in iTunes. Never upgrade through iTunes with standard firmware.

7. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

You can use Pwnagetool (Mac) or Sn0wbreeze (Windows) to create a custom 4.3.3 firmware (also referred to as IPSW). The IPSW will automatically preserve your baseband so you'll still be eligible for an unlock.

The firmware will also be jailbroken so all you need to do after the restore is go into Cydia and install Ultrasn0w. :)

Now as for the actual installation:

Whichever program you use will put your phone in pwned DFU mode, which is a special kind of DFU mode needed to install custom firmware. You will then hold the shift key (or option key, on Mac) and click the 'Restore' button. A window will pop up and you will select your custom made IPSW. Your iPhone will restore to it and when it's done you can restore from a backup or whatever. :)