Upgrading a MacBook Pro hard drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by richardb, Nov 24, 2007.

1. richardb macrumors newbie

Afternoon all, I'm thinking about upgrading the internal hard drive on my MacBook Pro (a 2.33GHz Core 2 Duo 15-incher with a 120GB drive that's currently bursting at the seams). I'm wondering what the biggest hard drive that has been succesfully used on this is, and what the downsides are; does it lower the battery life, make it toasty warm or glacially slow, or put out radiation that makes you sterile?

I'm also wondering if there are any good guides on this that cover the software side; ie, how you transfer the OS and other hard drive contents from the old drive to the new one?

2. just02 macrumors member

3. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

4. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

5. just02 macrumors member

:p

You could use OS X's migration assistant, like deadpixels noted, or you could use something like Carbon Copy Cloner. :)

6. TimJim macrumors 6502a

Superduper! worked perfect for me when i upgraded my HD. Make sure to get an external enclosure for it so pre-installation you can copy your files (this is an exact copy) then after, wipe your old HD and use it as storage.

Use these two guides, This and this one.

Buy the right tools: #0 Phillips Screwdriver and a T6 Torx Screwdriver.

Make a map on a piece of paper of what screws are where and write a little description ex. 2 Philips on Top RAM

Good Luck!

7. richardb thread starter macrumors newbie

Nice. Has anyone tried this drive in a MacBook Pro yet? I'm all for adventure, but not on a system I rely on as much as this :eek:

Thanks for the software tips: I shall check them out.

8. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I got the 250GB version, so far it's the best notebook drive ever used, hoping to upgrade to the 320GB version when I find it here... Kinda annoying being in the most technically advanced country can't yet, can't seem to buy the latest HD! :rolleyes:

9. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

With the ATA150 you don't need to worry about your battery performance. I would go for the Samsung 320 if you want speed and storage. Otherwise, for pure speed go with the Hitachi 200gig 7200 w/ 16MB cache.

10. serador macrumors newbie

serador

11. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

IMO, the Hitachi's has a reputation for being unreliable, if your using your MB/MBP for serious work, you don't want the thing dying on you, plus the 7200rpm heats up a little too hot and they're a little too sensitive to shock, where as the WDC has built-in protection - I've only ever repaired the drive once or twice in the year I've had it.

If speed is something you really require and budget isn't a barrier, you can always have a 16GB Lexar SSD in the Expresscard Bus and use that for a scratch disk. Sunrich Technology (china) claims to have a 32GB ExpressCard SSD, not sure how well or fast it performs.

12. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

13. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

That WD 320G drive is on sale through the end of the day today as an external USB version at Best Buy for $149.00. I just snagged one myself and will be putting it in the MBP tonight, and taking the old 100G Hitachi out and putting it in the enclosure.

MacDann

14. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

You have a link or is that instore only?

15. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

I have never had drive issues with Hitachi. I can agree with heat part though.

16. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

Trying to upgrade my HDD but for some reason I can't get the top piece off the back part of the laptop. I have the two edges off but the edges near the LCD hinge won't budge. Any ideas?

17. a4abt macrumors regular

Are you sure you removed all the screws? Check with an online "how-to" and make sure you removed every screw, there are a lot of them! When I upgraded my hd, the back part of the keyboard lid came off easily, the front part is another story, it needs special care!

18. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

I was stupid and didn't remove the 4 back screws. Got OSX loading right now. Thanks! I got excited and nervous at the sametime.