Upgrading a MBP 2.5 17 from a Dell E1705...3dmark 06 scores?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pbeaugrand, May 3, 2008.

1. dal20402 macrumors 6502

The question is, what are you doing where the 3Dmark score is so important to you? It's just one not-very-representative benchmark.

Unless you buy your laptops so you can run 3Dmark...

2. pbeaugrand thread starter macrumors newbie

3. Radio Monk33 macrumors 6502

Well, I got the 2.4 penryn which is slower than the 17" model and I can get 4200-4300 with better drivers and a tiny overclock. I imagine a stock 17 goes at 4300-4400 or so.

It'll run pretty much any games, but just not at the highest AA settings and high details.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

5. pbeaugrand thread starter macrumors newbie

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Most of the scores are around 4000... I only got 6000 from overclocking to 700/900 which is very unsafe on the MBP.

7. pbeaugrand thread starter macrumors newbie

8. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

Instead of using 3Dmark, why not install the games and decide if the performance is acceptable for you? If you're a serious gamer, then a desktop sounds like a more logical choice (more options, better performance, cheaper).

I personally wouldn't determine the worth of a laptop/desktop just by running 3Dmark. 3Dmark, or any other benchmark does not give me scores that I can use to tell me the performance I will get in a game. Yes, the bigger the score the better.

And if you think I don't game, I do. I built a desktop 2 years ago for my games. I never ran 3Dmark. Instead, I installed the games I wanted to play and went based off of ACTUAL performance.

The only time I would really rely on a benchmark is to help me compare performance between 2 computers. That's really the main objective of it. It really doesn't help you determine game performance.

9. pbeaugrand thread starter macrumors newbie