Upgrading a Mid 2010 13" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JMC231, Feb 20, 2013.

1. JMC231 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I currently have a 13" MBP with 8GB Ram. I know the the new processors are coming out this summer (I normally wait for the second generation anyway) and want to keep this until I see the new stuff. My question: Is it worth it to upgrade to a SSD drive now. Will this MBP still be viable for graphic design, light video editing and the occasional game of Diablo, Warcraft, etc for another year or so (until I have the funds to upgrade)? If a SSD is a possible fix for now, are there any brands that are recommended?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

Look at it this way: You can add a ~250GB SSD for $200 or under. That adds at least $100 to the resale value of the machine. It also drastically improves the usability of the machine during the remainder of the time you have it- cuts boot time to a fraction, eliminates delay when starting up applications, and all around makes the computer snappier. It's quite easily the single biggest upgrade you can make to your computer in terms of its impact on your day to day user experience.

As for brands, a lot around here recommend the Samsung 830 or 840 series, or less commonly Corsair. I had an Intel before trading for my rMBP, and I had no issues, although I understand there are some issues with updating its firmware (SandForce based) on a Mac. YMMV.