Upgrading a Mid-2012 rMBP 15" ADVICE?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Eric8199, Jul 2, 2017.

1. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

I currently own a 15" rMBP base model (8gb ram, 256gb hard drive, 2.3ghz i7). I have been debating upgrading for a bit of time and can't seem to figure out what to do, so I'm asking for some advice from all of you experts out here. I do all kinds of things with my computer, video editing in FCPX (1080p videos for YouTube), some design work in Photoshop and InDesign, Podcasting with Audition and some photo editing in Lightroom (RAW files). For the most part, this thing is handling things. The battery life isn't the best, so I generally have it docked to two 1080p monitors.

My options at this point are:
    -Keep what I've got and keep going.
    -Upgrade to a decked out 13" tMBP (3.5ghz i7, 16gb ram, 1tb SSD) $2899
    -Upgrade to a decked out 15" tMBP (3.1ghz i7, 16gb ram, 1tb SSD) $3399

I figure I can get $600-$800 out of my rMBP locally if I sell it. I have a base 13" tMBP that I got for work last year and I really like the portability of it compared to my 15", but I also have a 2015 rMB base model that I can take with me when I want to be really portable.

What would you guys do? Wait until the one I have starts to struggle (almost never now), save the $500 or pay the big bucks and get the top of the line? I plan on this computer lasting me as long as the 2012 has.

2. ZapNZs, Jul 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2017

ZapNZs macrumors 68000

ZapNZs

IIRC, you could replace the battery now and get a brand new or refurb 15-inch MBP for something like $300 in a swap Apple is offering because the batteries for your model are backordered. You should get either a 2015, 2016, or 2017 as the replacement. It will obviously have 16 GB of RAM, since 8 was not an option, leaving you with a very capable machine to meet your needs. Worst case scenario, if it still isn't exactly what you want, you have a brand new MBP to sell.

I believe these replacements come with the standard 1 year warranty and eligibility to purchase AppleCare as well.

What do your battery stats look like?

3. Eric8199 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Battery health is at 85 percent according to iStat Menu. 85.4 on Coconut. I believe 80 percent is the threshold for repair, isn't it?

4. TheGreenBastard macrumors 6502

TheGreenBastard

Something like that. It might be worth taking it in for diagnostics anyway. Or just keep using your battery constantly. It's worth it.

5. windows4ever macrumors member

windows4ever

Go for the 15" model since you already have a 13" & 12". Once you get used to the 15" screen it's tough to go back to the 13". The new machine will be lighter & significantly faster, especially with SSD speeds. My understanding has always been that the graphics in the 2012 machines are underpowered for the retina screens. 8GB is also becoming confining for a lot of users, myself included. Doing the things you're doing, you're probably bumping up against that limit.

6. Fishrrman macrumors G4

If you're into -4k- video, the 2018 MacBook Pros will have more to offer…

7. Eric8199 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not into 4K...yet. That is one of my concerns.

8. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I traded to the entry late 2016 15" rMBP from the entry 2012 rMBP + 16GB too. As I see it the cons are keyboard sucks, Touch Bar useless, even detrimental because of loss of true F keys, loss of internal HDMI, SD slot, USB A port, disappointed the stock SSD size hasn't increased in 4 years -- though it is faster. Pros - screen is amazing even though same resolution. Really fast editing FCPX videos. Love the large track pad and general feel. Overall I feel I had to trade up to get residual value out of my aging MBP. I'm not sure it wows me, but I'm content.

9. Eric8199 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, that's what's kept me on the edge on the decision, is while in some ways it's a decent upgrade, nowhere is it a huge one. The biggest improvement I can see for myself is going from a 256gb hard drive to 1tb, but as you mentioned, I'm paying to do that.

I have the 13" with touchbar and I hate the touchbar. I like the force touch trackpad and I personally LOVE the new keyboard. The keyboard alone is a good reason to upgrade for me, minus the price. I am slightly concerned about the size of the trackpad. I think the one on the 13" is perfect. The 15" seems too big.

I'm already in the dongle life, and it really annoys me more to have a computer with USB-A ports on it than USB-C now, as I've converted a lot of my stuff over.

I may just wait around another year and see what Apple has to offer in 2018.

10. HEDocks macrumors newbie

HEDocks

Came from the exact same setup you have right now and choose this option:
    -Upgrade to a decked out 15" tMBP (3.1ghz i7, 16gb ram, 1tb SSD) $3399

The half pound in lightness is a welcomed improvement for lugging the laptop around for daily use. Overall, happy with the computer.

Used the 13inch, but it felt a little cramped from using the 15" for all of these years.

11. Eric8199 thread starter macrumors 6502a

See, I'm the opposite, because I use the 13 for work, so I'm more used to that. I also use my 12" a lot around home, so the 15" is generally docked in a desktop setup and I don't take advantage of the 15" screen. I'm using the 15" right now as I type this and in some cases it feels too big.