Upgrading a Quicksilver's OS

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by BeeHive, Feb 20, 2014.

1. BeeHive macrumors newbie

Hey everybody,
    First post!

I have a 2002 dual 1 ghz G4 Quicksilver that is currently running os9 and 10.1.x

At the same time, I have an iBook G3 with 10.4.11.

I am wondering if there is anyway for me to move Tiger over to the quicksilver, so I can have much faster machine with more modern software.

I have an ethernet cable I could connect the two with, and I know I have to do something with target disk mode, but I do not want to muck around without some specifics, which I am having a hard time finding.

If somebody could give me some tips on how to copy the OS over, it would be a GREAT help!

Thanks in advance,
    BeeHive

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

If you want to use Target Disk Mode you need a Firewire cable.

The dirty way to do this would be to get that cable and boot the QS in TDM and connect it to the iBook. Use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone your iBook drive to the QS drive. Disconnect the QS and restart it.

You will essentially have a clone of your iBook on the QS.

A better way would be to find a copy of Leopard 10.5 and install it on your QS using the optical drive.

Leopard is more modern than Tiger and your Mac has the specs to run it.

OS X is not like OS9 in the sense that you can just copy a System Folder over somewhere. There's permissions, lots of small files, linking and the hard drive needing to be blessed so it can boot involved.

3. BeeHive thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, man!

I will try the CCC plan, and check back in soon. Unfortunately, I do not have the powder to blow on Leopard right now.

Peace,
    BeeHive

4. jrsx macrumors 65816

jrsx

I hear you man...Leopards a LOT these days, as the last of PPC users want to get their hands on it, being the last PPC Mac OS. As eyoungren said, target disk mode is the way to go for cloning. The cool thing about cloning, is it always properly detects your hardware and everything; for instance, it will realize your QS is a desktop instead of a laptop, and get rid of the battery indicator. I guess it's obvious that it would do that, but its just cool as I am a long-time PC user to see clones from other computers actually work, whereas in Windows I could never get any clone to even boot.
    If you want Leopard, you might be able to call AppleCare and get it from them for $20 or so. But don't get your hopes up, lots of people aren't lucky. ;)

5. eyoungren, Feb 20, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2014

eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Remember, since this is a clone of your iBook, anything that's on your QS is going to be wiped, including the OS9 stuff.

If there is ANYTHING on your QS you cannot live without make sure it's copied to the iBook before you start.

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Just call me Erik. ;)

The username is just a holdover from my first email account back when they required hieroglyphic recognition patterns to login. :D

7. BeeHive thread starter macrumors newbie

Good thing I haven't been able to et any software for it yet! Nothing to worry about erasing…:D

BeeHive

----------

Right on! At the moment I am just tinkering with these computers, so I don't want to go to deep in the investment front. Hopefully the prices will come down in a few years. Either way, I'm a Tiger fan. :apple:

8. jrsx macrumors 65816

jrsx

I've always been a huge Tiger fan, the only reasons I upgraded were for better support and more customization :)

9. BeeHive thread starter macrumors newbie

Stopped by the 'Shack this afternoon, and I picked up a firewire cable. Plugged everything in, got everything going, dropped the needle on some CCR, and let it rip. The clone worked well, but my browser situation is touchy right now. TFF is taking about 5 minutes to load pages, and Safari is working better, but refresh is being used a lot. :rolleyes:
    Ah well, its a project. I figure I will try out a few other browsers.

BeeHive

10. jrsx macrumors 65816

jrsx

Try Camino, or OmniWeb.

11. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

12. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Don't forget that you made a clone of the iBook G3. If the browser was on the G3 when you cloned the drive this means that you are using the G3 version of TenFourFox on your Quicksilver G4.

Download the G4 7450 version of TenFourFox and use that instead.

13. jrsx macrumors 65816

jrsx

I just thought Webkit might still be a little heavy, and, well, Leopard Webkit won't work on Tiger ;)

14. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Tiger Webkit is just as horribly outdated as stock Camino or OmniWeb. On Tiger, if one is wanting a secure browser, the only option is TenFourFox.