Upgrading a single 1.8ghz processor to a dual 2.5ghz liquid cooled. is it possible

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by G5Jake, Sep 22, 2007.

1. G5Jake macrumors member

Can i simply just swap the processors wile adding another one, "there is another slot for one", or do i need a new logic board? I have the dual 2.5ghz and i really would appreciate if you can tell me if i can just make the swap or do i need a new logic board, thanks

2. G5Jake thread starter macrumors member

well can i get a reason why. or tell me what i have to do, not just no sorry, what is that? seriousely give me some detail man,

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You definitely need a new logic board. Then you need the new coolers. Which may or may not fit in your case. You also need a new PSU as iirc the later G5s shipped with higher rated power supplies. All in all it's not worth it.

4. G5Jake thread starter macrumors member

if i needed a new logic board then why would i have an extra slot for another 1.8ghz without liquid, and i have all the fans i need, i have 9 fans in there and a fan where another processor is supposed to go. can i fit another 1.8ghz with liquid cooling.

5. Crawn2003 macrumors 6502

Once again, no, you can't. It would require, and I'm guessing but 99% sure, that you would need a better power supply for power, a logic board that was designed for dual 1.8 G5's, and the actual 1.8 G5 itself.

Why you would need a new logic board is that each logic board is designed for the processors that are going to be used with it. So the 1.8 has a logic board that has features/designs that are just for that certain type of processor. A dual 2.5 G5 has a logic board designed just for it.

The reason why there are those many fans is just a heat issue. Also, Apple has those cases pre-built to make them uniform so that each one is interchangeable with each processor class. This doesn't mean that a single 1.8 G5 can just be upgraded to a dual 1.8 G5. It just won't work without a different logic board, power supply, etc.

In my opinion, which means little really, it isn't worth the $$$ to try and do this. Especially now that a low end Mac Pro, or even a refurbished one, is $2499 or less. To do what you're suggesting would probably be around $1000-1800 and if you add just a little more you get a newer machine with Intel processors and a much better machine, IMHO.

*shrugs* Don't know how you feel but do what you want. I just hope it doesn't mess up your machine in the process. I liked those 1.8 G5's!

~Crawn