Upgrading advice from 8 to 16 gig (which generation)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Vikinguy, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Vikinguy macrumors 6502

I was an early adopter of the first gen 8 gig ipod touch and have now run into the problem that everyone warned me would come up...I'm out of space.

My question is this..I can sell my current ipod for $150 and a retailer has the first gen 16 gig touch for $220. Is the second gen worth the extra 80 bucks?

Other than external volume control and speaker...is it any better than the first gen? Faster processor or anything? Thanks much.

2. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

There have been a number of threads on this topic and from what Ihave read the 2G for the external volume control and faster processor.
    My friend had both and he felt the 2G had better battery life.

3. archurban macrumors 6502a

archurban

you seem to say all. it's thinner. if you buy new in-earphone, you can control volume, play, pause song. plus, as long as you stay with internet, you can call to somebody by using fring or similar app which is available from itunes store. fring is free by the way. microphone function is working as long as you use headphone with mic. it supports for that feature. Nike+ stuff, now you can use control like watch from nike. I think that it is worthy to have. anyway, you seem already to make a decision. go ahead.

4. Vikinguy thread starter macrumors 6502

I was not aware it had a faster processer..that is certainly something to think about.

5. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

6. Vikinguy thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, I am now leaning toward the new one. Ofcourse..you have to account for a new case yadayadayada. But they seem to be pretty sweet. No crazy screen issues like we dealt with back about 16 months ago are there? Remember all the

"i got a week 38 with no problems!"

"my week 37 has negative black and 4 dead pixels..can i take it back?!"

man...what a cluster.

7. reubs macrumors 68000

Crap. Forgot about all of the screen issues. I just picked up a 16 gig from BB's clearance, and I'm waiting for it to arrive here. I guess I'll keep an eye out for anything out of the ordinary as far as the screen goes.

8. 184550 Guest

I am using the same case that I had for my 1st gen 16gig iPod Touch for my 2nd gen... no problems for me.

9. aethelbert macrumors 601

That only lasted for about two production weeks. Everything pretty much faded out and the problems were mostly gone after the week 37 models. I wouldn't worry about it regardless of which one you choose.

10. Vikinguy thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh no..I was just thinking back on it and how huge an issue it was...week 37 was the week of death! I'm probably going to best buy tomorrow for the deal on the first gen 16 gig..that way i get that..the case and the upgrade for under 300.....but the new one...is cool.

11. Vikinguy thread starter macrumors 6502

I went with the new one....gonna sync her up tonight...EVERYONE is out of cases though..

12. Vikinguy thread starter macrumors 6502

Man, the second gen is certainly snappier thanh old one on the web. Brings up some sites almost as fast as my MacBook.