upgrading an alu iMac to penryn

Discussion in 'iMac' started by lost eden, Jan 19, 2008.

1. lost eden macrumors 6502a

2. Queso macrumors G4

Nice find. Not really a surprise with the outcome, although it would have been interesting to see what performance improvements it could have given.

3. RevToTheRedline macrumors 6502a

RevToTheRedline

I'm quite happy with 2.8Ghz and 4MB of L2 thanks :p, but fun read I would have actually thought the chip was soldered on the board, not in a socket.

4. lost eden thread starter macrumors 6502a

It might as well've been soldered in with how hard it was to get to! I had to remove the hard drive from a clamshell iBook the other day; you have to dismantle EVERYTHING! Your average Apple machine was certainly not designed with easy upgrades/repairs in mind.

5. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

The only thing that's putting me off the thought of buying an iMac is the lack of upgradeability (and I only mean the Hard Drive). I will need something like the 750GB to 1TB drive in mine, but Apple's BTO prices are rediculous...

6. Senor360 macrumors regular

Senor360

If the hard drive is the case...

.. don't let it be. There are a few guides out there that tell you how to upgrade the hd. If your willing to upgrade yourself, I'm sure you have some experience with ripping open a pc. Shouldn't pose too much of a problem for you.

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

All that work for 0-7% increase in performance?

8. AlexisV macrumors 68000

AlexisV

Read to the end :D

It didn't work properly and was stuck at 400Mhz.

9. psonice macrumors 6502a

Odd that it didn't work. The current 2.8ghz is also an unlocked CPU so there's obviously some way of handling it. It could be something in the firmware that needs a change/update, or it could be down to all those little switches that were visible near the CPU. Good luck figuring it out if it is though, I bet there are no labels on the switches! If somebody can figure out how the cpu clock is set though, it may well pave the way for us 2.8ghz owners to overclock their CPUs.

Still, it's excellent that it's possible to run a penryn chip, I'll be very tempted to put a fast quad core chip in mine when applecare runs out (and by then, they might even be cheap!)

10. lost eden thread starter macrumors 6502a

The idea of either overclocking or swapping in a fast quad core seems like a really bad idea to me. Surely in that form factor, the iMac has somewhat pathetic cooling, no? It would be almost like overclocking a laptop.

11. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I do remember a mention from Intel that a new VRM was required to run Penryn on Santa Rosa boards. OEM would be required to make this change. It's a little surprising that it worked to this point.

12. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

I always new iMac processor's were socketed in, I thought they started to solder it in aluminum model, guess i was wrong, pretty sweet.

13. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

They're socketed in on the desktops and soldered on the laptops to get a few more mm of thinness.