Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Collin973

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 29, 2006
Does any one know if I can put a faster logic board in a 12" 1.07 ghz iBook? Something like a 1.2 ghz from ebay or something? Would it use the same ram? I'd really appreciate the help!

Collin

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
More RAM and a faster HD would likely be a better investment ...

The difference between a 1GHz and a 1.2GHz isn't a whole lot, compared to the speed bump RAM gives you.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Yeah, I agree. I think it's much more work than it's worth. RAM is a pretty cheap way of speeding a machine up and if you're still running on the original 4200RPM drive then you'll notice quite an improvement getting a new 7200RPM drive. :)

seany916

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2006
Southern California
Save your money toward a low end Macbook. Old technology is rarely worth the money to upgrade. Spend your money toward a new item and load it up early so you won't have to upgrade later. I generally keep my computers for 4 years before selling them for a really cheap price. Very happy with my Rev. A Dual 1.8. I'll wait another year & half & sell it then for a bit.

how much usage are you going to get out of your investment/upgrade now compared to putting that money toward a more future-proof machine?

15% of cost of new macbook or mini?

sturigdson

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2006
I second and third the previous comments: more ram, faster HD. Or just save yourself and get the macbook.

from a 1.07 to a 1.2? You're not going to notice anything like the jump in speed you'd get from just upgrading to a new machine, and you're looking at two costs here.
1: the cost of the upgraded card [which may not be reliable even after you've put it in]
2: your time and energy. I have an ibook that's a pet project, I've opened the case and replaced hardware in it several times. But it is a seriously agonizing project each time. Those machines are not intended to just be taken apart and futzed around with. You're talking several hours of work just to get it in, then several hours to rebuild your comp and test everything to make sure it works. And if you miss a screw or forget to plug in the sleeplight [like I did], you get to start all over.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.