Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Imackintosh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2012
I'm nearly certain that if you have an iPad on Verizon with the share everything plan, you can upgrade that to the iPhone 5. Then you just switch the new iPhone to whatever line you want. The iPad will just be stuck in a two year contract at $10/mo.

colt6920

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2011
I am going to be trying this as it says I am eligible for an upgrade on my ipad and that I can transfer it to my iphone.

Gdgtguru

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2011
I am considering this too. When I put the number for my iPad in the eligibility lookup tool on Apple's site, it has the full discount price. I am just not sure how the activation process works then. If I recall, when activating through iTunes, it asked for the number you are upgrading to activate the new phone with it. If I order using the discount for my iPad plan, can I simply activate it using my iPhone number when it comes? If so, does the iPad account automatically switch to a 2 year contract plan?

nrivas

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2009
Texas
I have asked two Verizon reps and they both said that it will work.

----------

Why not? It works and Verizon reps have confirmed it. You can upgrade from Verizon, transfer the iPad upgrade to your phone and you are set. Your iPad is locked for 2 years.

Yep, that's the same thing the reps told me.

Gdgtguru

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2011
It is also worth noting that I just got off the phone with ATT asking if I could use my iPad account as a discount eligible plan and was initially told no. I asked to speak with someone else who knows more about the upgrade process and the lady told me that yes, it can be done, just a bit more complex than simply going online and pre-ordering (though I hope that works too).

Basically, the iPad would have to switch temporarily to a family plan as a "phone" for $10 per month. Then it's upgrade eligibility would be used to buy the iPhone 5. She said I would then just swap sims to get my number on the new phone, but I told her that isn't possible. She asked why to which I told her the new phone has a nano-sim. She said, "what is that"? I told her it is the new sim apple is using which she said she knew nothing about it.

Bottom line is she claims this upgrade path should work.

bidwalj

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2007
Did this work for anyone by transferring the upgrade?
When i tried last night all i could transfer it to was my other ipad line. I would not let me select my iphone 4s line. Its weird because in the normal update my device link, it lets you transfer it but not from that pre order link on verizons page.

I ended up ordering them outright. I'm just curious if anyone was able to do it and it was simply a glitch? I will call verizon and sort it out and may line up on launch day if they can confirm it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.