Upgrading an iPhone 3GS to iOS 6

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by mcsolas, Apr 18, 2014.

1. mcsolas, Apr 18, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2014

mcsolas macrumors regular

I bought a used iPhone 3gs last year. It came with cydia on it.

It seems to be crashing a lot and there is a lot of space taken up by 'other' when I connect it to itunes. I would like to give this thing a fresh start but would like to first backup my contacts and photos before doing so.

q1 - what is the best way to backup my contacts?

q2 - what workflow should I follow to upgrade it to ios 6?

itunes wants to just install it, but I am not sure if that is the way to go, as I want to make sure and wipe this thing out and start over from scratch.

... btw - I am a total noobie when it comes to iphone mods. :eek:

edit: found this thread which seems to have some info on a potential workflow:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1710523&highlight=3gs
    http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/apple-roll...hone-3gs-ipod-touch-4g-download-links-1437503
    > The 2nd url I posted has a link to download the 6.1.6 Firmware file. I am doing so now as it appears to be part of the process I need to complete.

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Go into settings and turn on iCloud. Make sure that contacts syncing is turned on and they'll back up to "the cloud."

Put your phone in DFU mode and let iTunes download the most up to date version of iOS(6.1.6) and restore your phone.

3. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

If you'd like to get that phone unlocked this would be the time to give it a shot.

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Since this has so far not been commented on…Realize that having Cydia on your iPhone means that whomever you got it from jailbroke it. You cannot be stock and have Cydia on your iPhone.

If there is anything that you have installed from Cydia, anything you depend on then understand that when you update, Cydia will be deleted and all the stuff that came from Cydia (even if it was there from the previous owner and not installed by you) will go away.

The only way to get it Cydia back will be to rejailbreak after updating. If there is anything you value from Cydia, you might want to look through there for a backup tweak that will save your JB tweaks and apps. It will be necessary to use that backup to restore those tweaks and apps if you re-jailbreak.

5. mcsolas thread starter macrumors regular

Whoah.. Glad I came back to this thread before I started the process!! Thank you! I was just making a list of how I was going to recreate the setup and I had not though to inventory the cydia tweaks, there was a lot of them applied, and yes some I think that were important as you mention.

Just backed up the contacts to icloud, photos to iphoto.. getting closer..
    How would I go about this step of the process?

6. eyoungren, Apr 26, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2014

eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Apple only allows you to restore/upgrade to the lastest firmware that it is still electronically signing for your model iPhone. It does that as a method to deter jailbreaking.

I am not sure, but if you restore, 6.1.6 will be the maximum (only version actually) you can go to. Up until they jailbroke iOS 7 there was no jailbreak available for anything above iOS 6.1.2. However, they released one shortly after they did the iOS 7 jailbreak. I'm unsure where you need to go for that because it was something I noted but since I didn't need did not get the details.

I would suggest asking on the Jailbreak forum here. Lots of good people in there who will know how to help you better than I.

I think though, it requires a tethered jailbreak first, then an update from Cyddia that will convert the jailbreak to an untethered one. But they will know more in the jailbreak forum.

7. mcsolas thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the suggestion. I just posted in that forum a continuation of this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1729428

I gave it a shot using iTunes at first, and things went south pretty quickly. I'm hoping I can get this phone working again soon. It has been an interesting learning experience trying to get this to work though.. thankfully I waited for a good time to try and do this where I don't really need my phone much for the next few days.

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I saw your thread. I hope someone can respond soon. I'm not very familiar with all that sort of stuff but there are a few others who are. Hopefully they can help.

9. mcsolas thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah.. it was quite an exciting afternoon. I found out quite a lot via trial and error but I got lucky because apparently learning that way could have been quite expensive if I had a phone build a few weeks later :eek:

Scary... I was sweating it out but I have ios 6 working.. but I lost the connection to my carrier somehow. guess I am going to have to wait till monday to see what I can do there if I can't figure out what happened before then, but I am pretty sure this is what I will end up doing. hopefully they can help!