Upgrading an iPod touch 2g MC model to iOS 4.0.2

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by SwissChocolate, Aug 21, 2010.

1. SwissChocolate macrumors newbie

Hi there everybody! :D I need some help on bringing my specified iPod touch to the latest firmware, 4.0.2, from 3.1.3. It's jailbroken using Spirit. Honestly for the time being, I don't really care whether it's jailbroken or not, I'd just like to update it.

I've seen several threads regarding this issue before, but can I simply click "Update"? Or do I have to Restore, and then Update? Also, will I lose all my app data (i.e. Tap Tap, Angry Birds, etc.)? I've backed it up with AppBackup just in case. I know for sure that if I lose all my app data, I'll have to jailbreak again to restore it. And also, backing up my iPod touch takes FOREVER, I've only been able to do it once, and it took around 15 hours. What will I lose if I have to Restore without backing up?

Thanks for your time, I know it sure is a complicated problem! ;)

2. celticpride678

I would just click update. It should keep all of your data. As for the backing up issue, it's been reported many times before and I don't think there is a solution.

3. SwissChocolate thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice. It's backing up now, and it sure is taking a while. Will all evidence of my jailbreak disappear now?

4. celticpride678

If you restore as a new device, yes.

5. rstewart1989 macrumors newbie

if you want it jailbroken run jailbreakme.com on your ipod browser, just can't upgrade past 4.02 if you do