Upgrading an old 2006 core duo white macbook's wifi card

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Ubuntu, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

Greetings all,

My dad wants my Dell because he wants a reasonable PC for some old games and so I'm taking my old macbook back. I've upgraded it to SL and its all great except that in my uni flat it often won't connect to the router. This is due to the range really as everytime it fails to connect, taking it to the router fixes the issue. However the router is in the kitchen so I have a bit of an issue here as I can't move the router, nor can I really use an ethernet cable.

Is there a better wireless card out now? I imagine there might be one with better range, would anyone know? Or would a new wireless card not really improve the range?

Thanks

2. grawk macrumors 6502

grawk

You can get an N-capable card to replace the one that's in it. The ones for the mac pro work, as do a few others. The hackintosh forums can point you in the right direction, as several of the netbooks use those cards to enable wifi.

3. Ubuntu thread starter macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

That's given me an idea. I actually have an extra Dell 1490 wireless card from my hackintosh netbook, would be great if I could install that. Thanks for the info.

4. Ubuntu thread starter macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

Just to let anyone who was interested know, the upgrade was a success. The laptop now picks up the router with no issue and has full strength. When I opened the macbook I was amazed at how much dust there was which explained the heat issue so now its significantly cooler. I'd recommend doing the upgrade if you have range issues with an older macbook but do follow an indepth guide (one on ehow.com) because the laptop can be fiddly to reassemble.

Thanks all