Upgrading an old iPad 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by stanw, Dec 30, 2016.

1. stanw macrumors 6502a

My toddler uses my old iPad 2 and it is running the original version it came with of ios. I want to download the Amazon video app, though it needs a newer version of ios. Not sure which one....

1. Is there a way to upgrade the iOS one level from iOS 7 to 8 and not all the way to 10?
    2. Will the thing become so slow as to become worthless if it gets upgraded to the latest version of iOS?

Thanks.

2. andreamaym macrumors member

Your iPad 2 can't support iOS 10, so you don't have to worry about that. My dad was just having problems with his and when I called tech support they told me to update the iOS. I don't think my dad had ever updated his software before, and it automatically updates to 9.something.

I found his iPad 2 to be slow to begin with, and I'd say that it still is, but it's definitely not useless and he still uses it every day.

3. Cameroncafe10a macrumors member

Cameroncafe10a

I think you would have to update straight to iOS 9, probably iOS 9.3.5

4. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

My iPad 2 with iOS9 is nearly useless because it has become so slow and crash prone. I practically never use it anymore because of that. I wish I'd stayed on iOS7.

5. 960design macrumors 68020

No. Updating your iPad will take it to 9.3.5. iPad2's will not receive updates above 9.3.5
    Definitely up for debate. There is a significant difference in response time to touches and web browsing page refreshes between my iPad Pro and the iPad2. There is little difference when watching videos, although the video listing refresh is slower, but not unusable.

The tech is 5 years old, you must expect some delays when typing and the occasional browser crash ( usually due to poorly written JS ).

It will work, but the time to upgrade is here.