Upgrading and 3rd Party Apps Questions

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MegaMan1311, Oct 17, 2007.

1. MegaMan1311 macrumors regular

I am a new mac user and have not upgraded a mac before, so I have a few questions. I have installed many 3rd party programs. Will they work with Leopard?

I have read that there are a couple ways of upgrading. What is the recommended way? I do not want to erase my files during the upgrade. Will it remember my custom icons for folders? Will there be anything that it won't remember? Thanks in advance.

MegaMan1311

2. ivi7 macrumors 6502a

ivi7

No one knows if the 3rd party apps will require an update or not however I remember reading some of the applications were working fine with the developer builds of Leopard. So we will have to wait and watch.

There will be 2 ways to upgrade to Leopard one being a fresh install deleting all your data and the other being an archive and install which would retain your data and settings.

But i would suggest you to back up your files anyways.

3. MegaMan1311 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. Do you think the Adobe programs (photoshop, dreamweaver, illustrator, ect.) will work? That is the bulk of my 3rd party apps. I will be sure to backup.

4. ivi7 macrumors 6502a

ivi7

I am pretty sure they will

5. armani macrumors regular

I was going to order leopard today, but decided to read more about it. As well as Photoshop CS3, I have Final Cut Studio (I am pretty sure this won't have any problems), some games (Halo, COD2), Office 2004 and some other stuff. This is my first mac as well, aluminum iMac 24". But I know that when I upgraded to windows xp, I had issues with games and some software. I hope apple is much better and I won't experience any set backs.