Upgrading and transferring software

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ma5ter5, Jul 16, 2013.

1. ma5ter5 macrumors member

ma5ter5

Hi,

After recently discovering my mid-2010 MBP has corrosion on the motherboard (glad the girlfriend told me when she spill juice on it...:mad:), I have been considering either buying a used unit of craigslist or a new one from Apple. A few of the units I've seen have included software that I'm interested in (notably Photoshop). None of the sellers said they could provide the product key or install files. So, I'm curious if I purchase one of these used units with the software I want on it, can I:

1. Transfer the software to an SSD I would like to install and get it to run properly?
    2. If I eventually get another computer, will I be able to get it to run on that computer?

I do have a Time Capsule that I do my backups on, and recall that I was able to use it to transfer all my files and programs when I upgraded to my MBP from my Mac mini. Will this hold true as well?

Thank you for your time!

-Steve

2. cledet macrumors regular

cledet

Yes however it's slow. For transferring, I recommend using a program called SuperDuper!. It creates a bootable clone of your current hard drive to another. It's amazing. It will help you accomplish what you need.

3. ma5ter5 thread starter macrumors member

ma5ter5

Thanks so much. Now that you mention the other software, I just realized I have Carbon Copy that I can use.

4. cledet macrumors regular

cledet

Perfect! Good luck and let us know how you made out.

5. phoenixsan macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

If....

you clone the drive where the software was originally, you can run it. But in case you need to update it, say, for a CAMERA RAW update or other instance, maybe you will need the serial numbers or keys....:(

:):apple:

6. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

I would never base a computer buying decision on software that has been previously installed, unless provided with the proper disc and serial's. Should anything down the road get corrupted with the program you are SOL. So now you have paid for software that is garbage.

Not all software is transferable either. I know Photoshop is if all the proper transfer paperwork has been done according to Adobe. You will never be able to upgrade without it being a legit copy. You would have to pay full price to upgrade, so something to consider.

Sure you can use Carbon Copy or SuperDuper, but still not a legit copy.

7. ma5ter5 thread starter macrumors member

ma5ter5

Great info

Thank you for your responses. I had figured that having the installers and serials would be the only sure way to keep the software. I wasn't planning on pay much, if anything, extra to get the software on the machines. Most are at the same price or $50 more, and I thought it might be a great way to pick up this software cheap.

Thanks,

Steve