Upgrading another line to 4.0 but using it myself. How to?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bahamallama, Jun 9, 2010.

1. bahamallama macrumors member

bahamallama

I have a family plan with 2 iPhones on it and 2 regular phone with no data plans.

My wife's phone is eligible for the great discount however I'm not. I can get the $499 one though.

I read that I can upgrade another line from my plan to the 4 and then use it myself but is it possible in my situation and if so how?

My other option is to get my wife's upgrade and give her my 3GS (she is on a 2g). If I do this can I just activate the new phone with my number in iTunes and then restore from my back up?

Thanks for any help and sorry if this is covered already I didn't find anything like this.

D

2. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Please A) Read through the forum. About 2 dozen other people have asked the exact same questoin.

B) Read through our upgrade guide. We actually discuss this.

If you like search "upgrade swap".

3. bahamallama thread starter macrumors member

bahamallama

Sorry about that and thanks!

Adding the word swap made the difference!

Mods can delete this thread if it's in the way.

D

4. mbsaeger macrumors 6502

mbsaeger

This is actually more complicated than you may think. When you order from Apple, they are going to send you a new SIM, and then add the new sim info to your wifes account, so the phone MUST be activated on your wifes line.

Take note that according to many, you have to activate the new phone on her line first, and then you would have to swap the sims..... (oops, iPhone 4 takes a microsim). Then your stuck with your wifes line on your iPhone 4.

You have 3 options from this point, you DO NOT want the above scenario.

1. When you get the iPhone 4, you and your wife go to the AT&T store, and explain that that is your wifes upgrade and you want to use it. They will handle it

2. Just get the iPhone 4 from AT&T, they will treat it as your upgrade, and will be much simpler.

3. My route - Pre-order from apple, and when you get the phone DO NOT activate it, immediately call AT&T they will switch all of the information to your account, so you can activate properly on YOUR line, not your wifes. :)

EDIT: By account i mean line

5. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Please don't listen to this. The SIM comes unactivated...blank. You will activate it via iTunes and associate it with the AT&T account of your choosing.

6. mbsaeger macrumors 6502

mbsaeger

Yes, the SIM is unactivated, but the sim info on AT&Ts side will already be on the line that you upgraded from.... So when you go to activate, it has to be activated on that line to kick off the new contract. There is no where in the iTunes activation where you type in your phone number of your choosing...

Basically the sim IS associated with the account or line per-say - double check your info...

7. mbsaeger macrumors 6502

mbsaeger

Look at the apple support article here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2846

8. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

9. bahamallama thread starter macrumors member

bahamallama

One other question: this line doesn't have a data plan. Would I need to purchase it at pre order or would it be after activation? I don't want a data plan on this line since I will be swapping the phone.

Thanks again,

D

10. mbsaeger macrumors 6502

mbsaeger

Nothing on the plan would change until you activate the phone, and as long as its' activated on your line, you should be fine. A call to AT&T support can always remove it anyways...

11. Young Turk macrumors 6502

12. bahamallama thread starter macrumors member

bahamallama

According to the article you have to call. No problem since I'm saving $200!

D

13. mbsaeger macrumors 6502

mbsaeger

Same dude, according to AT&T I would have to pay $600 even though I got the 3GS on launch day last year, good thing someone else on my account IS eligible XD