Upgrading Apple TV Hard Drive to 320GB

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by dylanbrown, Dec 8, 2008.

1. dylanbrown macrumors 6502

I am going to be upgrading my Apple TV Hard Drive to a 320GB WD Scorpio (Link Here)

I am also going to be following the instructions on the  TV Hacks.net website. (Found Here)

I am going to be going the Terminal route as this will save some cash by not having to use any software - but I have a few questions.

TVHacks.net says to use a "2.5" to FireWire bridge", I have a USB 2.5" Hard Drive enclosure and was hoping that it would do.

Also, does anyone know the maximum drive size the TV can handle?

Cheers

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

2.5".

Seriously. Any 2.5" drive will work. 500GB is the largest made currently.

3. dylanbrown thread starter macrumors 6502

4. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

This is not true. The drive must have a PATA interface (largest is 250 gb), unless you also add a PATA to SATA adapter.

5. dylanbrown thread starter macrumors 6502

How does that affect me in relation to the drive I intend to purchase?

6. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

It means that drive won't work, unless you plan to also do a SATA hack to your ATV. There's a thread a few lines below with more information on it, or you can read the thread I started about the 750 gb hack.

7. RGunner macrumors 6502a

RGunner

Actually..

WD now has a PATA 320GB 2.5 drive (new on the market). Not sure it will ever be replaced with a higher PATA model. Everyone doing SATA now.

8. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Tanj, forgot that.

That's why I'm waiting for the next hardware update. Hopefully they'll use a real interface this time. :rolleyes:

9. paduck macrumors 6502

That's a SATA drive, as has been noted. You could use it with a SATA-IDE bridge. And you're talking about using it externally, so no big deal.

IF you are talking about hooking up an external drive to an AppleTV, you can get a 3.5" SATA drive, run it into the ATV using a SATA-IDE bridge. That way, you could go all the way up to a 1.5TB drive relatively cheaply (less than $200 for all the parts).

If you are talking an internal installation, you are currently limited to the 2.5" 250GB IDE hard drive drives currently on the market. I have heard about the above mentioned 320GB WD 2.5" IDE, but I haven't seen one for sale. It would be great to get a link, although I already got my 250GB, so I won't be adding any more space...

I'd do a lot more research to define your requirements before you go out spending money.

10. California macrumors 68040

California