Upgrading AT&T 3GS to 6, and I don't have a nano SIM card

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by entlassen, Sep 12, 2014.

1. entlassen macrumors member

I'm on a AT&T plan with grandfathered unlimited data. I fulfilled my 2-yr contract a long time ago and have stayed on the same plan for years. I'm using an iPhone 3GS, which uses the old fat SIM cards.

If I buy an unlocked T-mobile iPhone 6, what do I need to do to transfer my service from my 3GS to the new phone? Can I simply buy a http://www.amazon.com/AT-Nano-SIM-Card-iPhone/dp/B009DRLCXK/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

plop it into my phone, and call AT&T to transfer my service to the new sim/phone? Is it that easy?
    And if I do this, will they muck with my grandfathered unlimited data plan, which I don't want to lose?

2. matty1551 macrumors 6502

Go into att with the iphone and they'll give you a sim. Hopefully for free.

Your data plan should remain untouched.

3. AceMason macrumors 6502

They've always given me the SIM for free in store. I'm using a temp dumb phone until I get my 6 with the large standard SIM and was able to get it for free yesterday in store.

4. RByers8252 macrumors regular

Just got to an AT&T store and ask for a micro-sim, will be free. Go home and there is a number to call to activate or they can do it in store.

5. entlassen thread starter macrumors member

Hmm I just called a local AT&T store and they said they charge $15 for the nano sim card, even though I'm already a customer. Are they trying to rip me off?

6. Xultar macrumors 6502a

Xultar

Did you say you were getting a new phone and needed the new sim because your old won't work? They should provide a SIM for free with a new device especially since we are paying that $40 upgrade fee.

I'm going to need a new sim because I'm upgrading from the 4s.

7. cymolia macrumors 6502a

make sure you go to a corporate store, those att 3rd party stores charge you for a sim.

8. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Never pay for the SIM card. They will give it to you for free. If that particular store refuses, go to a different store.

9. entlassen thread starter macrumors member

What $40 upgrade fee? I want to bring an unlocked full-price T-mobile iPhone 6 to AT&T. I fulfilled my AT&T 2-year contract years ago. Is there a $40 fee associated with doing this?

10. cornerexit macrumors regular

It will be in the box and/or already installed.

11. entlassen thread starter macrumors member

If I buy the T-mobile unlocked full-price version, like I described in my original post, it will come with a T-mobile SIM card, not an AT&T SIM card.

12. Xultar macrumors 6502a

Xultar

Oh you should be fine then and not have to pay the upgrade fee based on your situation. I wouldn't tell them though you bought it from T-Mobile. Just say you need a sim.

But I bought a phone through Apple. I'm off contract also, going back on contract and they charged me an upgrade fee.