Upgrading B&W G3 with G4 Sawtooth Parts?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by gavinstubbs09, Jan 3, 2014.

1. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

So I thought of an idea to take my B&W G3 and convert it into a G4 with everything such as the logic board, plastics, etc. There are a few reasons to do this rather than just go buy a G4. I live in the middle of nowhere and it is extremely hard to get a Mac of any sort here so usually the source is ebay and what kills everything is the cost of shipping. This isn't very cost effective but I thought it would get some cool pictures and be a fun side project.

So I have some questions. I was looking at a G4 Sawtooth board that looks identical to the B&W except the vertical angle of the Audio In/Out ports on the back and the IDE cable moved. Would it be able to have everything plug right in just as the G3 did?

That and if anyone has a parts G4 PCI/AGP laying around and can sell some parts which I can't find on ebay, I'd appreciate it!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I don't think the power supplies are compatible. The Sawtooth and the B&W G3 are a wholly redesigned logicboard. It's the PCI G4 that has a similar, near identical, logicboard to the B&W G3.

3. gavinstubbs09 thread starter macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

Small things like that seem hard to come by at a cheap enough price to get... and I ditched the idea.

However, I found a guy who will sell me a 400MHz FastMac G4 upgrade and a 128MB Mac Edition Radeon 9200 for $45 total (incl. shipping). Killer deal!

4. Cox Orange macrumors 68000

You could have just bought a 350 or 400MHz G4 stock CPU of the PowerMac G4-PCI Intell just mentioned. You would get the whole machine for I guess arround 20USD or the CPU alone for 1-5,-USD on Ebay.

But I don't know maybe the FastMac Upgrade has an additional or bigger cache than the stock 400MHz G4 CPU.

Beware PowerMac G4 AGP models and later CPUs do not fit the socket!