Upgrading bad hd to ssd through applecare

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jamesschmidtke, Feb 2, 2012.

1. jamesschmidtke macrumors regular

Has anyone done this? Can you do this? My hd is about to crap out on my 9 month macbook pro, I'd like to pay some sort of upgrade price to just get an ssd replacement drive.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

AppleCare doesn't cover upgrades. It only covers the repair or replacement of manufacturer defects with identical or similar equipment. You can buy an SSD, but AppleCare has nothing to do with that.

3. jamesschmidtke, Feb 2, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2012

jamesschmidtke thread starter macrumors regular

yeah, I know they wouldn't cover the upgrade. I just want to know if anyone in this circumstance was given options to buy a better hard drive from apple at a cost

4. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

I tried to get an upgrade from a 5400 to a 7200 in my server when the drive died (I was also willing to pay the difference), and the response by the Genus would have made you think I had threatened or insulted somebody's life and family by even asking.

So unless you have better results than I did, I can say no.

5. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

cheper to buy SSD from any other computer part store and have them install the SSD if you dont feel comfortable

but its very easy to do your self

6. jamesschmidtke thread starter macrumors regular

thanks guys. it's in for testing as of tomorrow but they suspect the logic board more than anything. I'm upgrading the to an ssd when I get it back and will keep the old 7200rpm in an enclosure for time capsule. I'll put a little love into this machine and hopefully it will last a bit.

7. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

The basic premise of any warranty for any company & product is to replace a defective part with like kind. While your desire to upgrade is not unreasonable, it does break the chain of warranty rules.

It's good to hear Apples about to fix it and return it to you. Your plan expressed here is a great way to accomplish your goal.

8. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I don't mean to hijack this thread but I've actually wondered something similar to this with AppleCare. Is there anyway to actually just ask AppleCare to swap out a particular device (Optical drive) instead of having the entire MBP brought to the AppleStore. I then of course would remove all the upgrades I put to make back to "stock" to void my warranty or lose anything if they switch out the whole machine.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, if you remove your optical drive, you void your AppleCare coverage. What upgrades are you talking about that you'd have to remove?

10. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Dual drives (SSD/HDD-not stock brand) and RAM.

So, it's void if they see it or I acknowledge that it is? So many people do it here so I don't understand that. I guess putting it back is the key for AC.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It doesn't violate your warranty or AppleCare to upgrade your HDD/SDD or RAM. There is no need to reverse those changes before getting AppleCare service.