Upgrading Base 15" MBP w/ 9600 GT

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RebornKillah, Jun 15, 2009.

1. RebornKillah macrumors newbie

Hey...Ive done some searching on the forums and cannot find the answer to this.

This is going to be my first Apple laptop, and first laptop for that matter. If I order the base level 2.53 GHz 15" MBP, can I eventually upgrade w/ the 9600 GT graphics card? The reason being...I need a laptop now and for my current needs (and funds) will not require the extra card. However, I do video editing as a side business and feel that the extra card will help w/ Motion 3, etc. which I will start back up doing when I have time in the fall. Or will the 9400M be sufficient as I only do a couple of videos a month?

Thanks for all the help!

-ReborN

2. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I'm pretty sure you can't upgrade it. I don't know all the technical jargon but I'm 99% sure you can't upgrade the GPU. Sorry!

And I don't think Motion will work without a dedicated GPU. I know Color won't run unless a dedicated GPU is there. However, editing using Final Cut Pro will be just fine.

3. gusto5 macrumors member

You'll need to order the level-2 laptop to have the 9600M GT. It's essentially the base model for 9600M GT models.

4. RebornKillah thread starter macrumors newbie