Upgrading before a trip

DCHook

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
I need some thoughts and opinions. My iPhone X arrives on 11/3. I'm leaving for about 9 days on 11/4 for some meetings in CA as well as some hiking, etc. My inclination is not to attempt an upgrade from my existing iPhone 7 prior to my trip. My iPhone 7 is already setup the way I like it and everything is working great and, based upon past experience, an upgrade takes a few days to get comfortable (entering passwords, etc. downloading offline content, maps, etc. -- let alone if something goes wrong with the restore.)

The downside is that I do lose a bunch of time spent evaluating the iPhone X (Apple allows 14 days for a return and this will leave me maybe 4 days when I get back.)

I don't really see an alternative. I just think I have to stick with the 7 for the trip.

Thoughts?

myscrnnm

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
Just bring both. Use the iPhone 7 as your primary since it's set up the way you like, but try out the X since it will arrive before you head to California.

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012
I need some thoughts and opinions. My iPhone X arrives on 11/3. I'm leaving for about 9 days on 11/4 for some meetings in CA as well as some hiking, etc. My inclination is not to attempt an upgrade from my existing iPhone 7 prior to my trip. My iPhone 7 is already setup the way I like it and everything is working great and, based upon past experience, an upgrade takes a few days to get comfortable (entering passwords, etc. downloading offline content, maps, etc. -- let alone if something goes wrong with the restore.)

The downside is that I do lose a bunch of time spent evaluating the iPhone X (Apple allows 14 days for a return and this will leave me maybe 4 days when I get back.)

I don't really see an alternative. I just think I have to stick with the 7 for the trip.

Thoughts?
I wouldn't. I'd set that **** up and take it with me. Real world test immediately.

andrewpturko

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2012
What are the actual chances you won’t like it? iCloud backup and you’re all set to go.

DCHook

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
What are the actual chances you won’t like it? iCloud backup and you’re all set to go.
Good point. You're right -- I've never returned an iPhone within the return window and I'm sure I'll keep it.

I guess I just hate the fact that I can't upgrade before I go since it seems like that would be just asking for trouble.

Aside from my very first iPhone, I've always just restored a backup during an upgrade. Is there any way to play with the iPhone X without completely switching over to it as my primary?

joeblow7777

macrumors 603
Sep 7, 2010
I get where you’re coming from, OP, but I would definitely take the new phone. It shouldn’t take to long to have your new phone setup and working just like your old one if you restore from a backup.

andrewpturko

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2012
Good point. You're right -- I've never returned an iPhone within the return window and I'm sure I'll keep it.

I guess I just hate the fact that I can't upgrade before I go since it seems like that would be just asking for trouble.

Aside from my very first iPhone, I've always just restored a backup during an upgrade. Is there any way to play with the iPhone X without completely switching over to it as my primary?
It depends. Once you activate the X on your carrier network, your 7 becomes deactivated. In theory you should be able to swap sims back and fourth between devices, but that’s also dependent on carrier. Some play nicer than others and in the end it’s probably more trouble than it’s worth. Your 7 will still be there, just without cell service.

DCHook

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
Man, you guys are setting me up for a bad time. o_O

I know I probably shouldn't upgrade before leaving but now I'm wondering if I'm being too conservative.

I guess I could always take the 7 as backup ...

joeblow7777

macrumors 603
Sep 7, 2010

I know I probably shouldn't upgrade before leaving but not I'm wondering if I'm being too conservative.

Just take the plunge. What’s the worst that can happen in 9 days? When I get a new phone, it takes over as my sole device the instant it finishes its restoration. There may be a hiccup here or there like having to re-enter a password, but I’ve never needed to go running back to my old phone for anything.

andrewpturko

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2012

I know I probably shouldn't upgrade before leaving but now I'm wondering if I'm being too conservative.

I wouldnt worry about it! Honest advice is to just upgrade, no regrets.

Worst case scenario the X isn’t what you hoped it’d be, you still have the 7 in your suitcase.

Superrjamz54

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2015
It depends. Once you activate the X on your carrier network, your 7 becomes deactivated. In theory you should be able to swap sims back and fourth between devices, but that’s also dependent on carrier. Some play nicer than others and in the end it’s probably more trouble than it’s worth. Your 7 will still be there, just without cell service.
What carrier makes you jump through hoops? Never had issues with that using AT&T, T-MOBILE or Verizon?

lordhamster

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2008
I’m getting my new X on the 3rd, and leaving for 2 weeks in Australia on the 4th. I really hope I’ll love the x

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012
I’m getting my new X on the 3rd, and leaving for 2 weeks in Australia on the 4th. I really hope I’ll love the x
It's just a little to get used to. No different than going from the 3GS to the 4, 4S to the 5, 5S to the 6, and 6 to the plus size models if you've had them.