Upgrading bootcamp XP to W7 problem.

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by heymynamesgriff, Jan 16, 2012.

1. heymynamesgriff macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I've got a mid 2008 MBP and decided a couple of days ago to completely wipe my HD and start from fresh so I could run Windows via bootcamp on an equal partition (previously I had used VMWare Fusion).

Installing XP wasn't a problem at all, and managed to get all drivers installed no problem. I then bought a Windows 7 Upgrade online and have experienced no end of problems trying to install the damn thing.

I've trawled the internet and various forums and learned that I had to uninstall the drivers for XP so did that but now hit a problem during the actual Installation. On the screen where it displays "Copying Windows Files, Expanding Windows files etc." my installation has stayed at 32% on Copying the files for more than 4 hours. I'm pretty sure that's not right, but some dick on another forum just said you have to wait it out.

If I press the cmd button the start menu comes up and xp works fine, no problems.

Anyone know what could be causing this problem and how I would fix it?

Much appreciated.

2. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

I think ( if I were doing what you are doing ) my plan of attack would look like this:

1) get a backup of your xp system ... maybe a couple of different backups using different products. ( I use ghost 15 along with the ( for win 7 systems ) the free microsoft system imaging solution ).

2) also get a complete mac os x set of backups

3) use bootcamp assistant to remove the xp partition

4) use bootcamp assistant to get a set of win 7 drivers ready

5) reboot system

6) use bootcamp assistant to create a new ( and maybe different size ) win 7 partition

7) proceed with the win 7 install and make sure you format the partition as ntfs ( advanced options ) before proceeding

8) install the win 7 bootcamp drivers

9) test your system

10) get a new set of backups perhaps on a different set of external drives so you can fall back if necessary

3. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I'd take a look HERE on how to install an upgrade version of Windows 7 as a clean install; skipping XP entirely. It'll save you a lot of headaches, and you'll have a fully optimized install with a fresh feel :) I personally have done the "registry hack" method which just tricks Windows into forgetting that you booted directly from the install disk instead of clicking "Upgrade Windows" from within a preexisting install.