Upgrading, but to what?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by HAH, Oct 7, 2011.

1. HAH macrumors newbie

Hiya.

I'm looking to upgrade to one of the following:

iMac 27", 3.1GHz i5, 1TB HD, 6970M with 1GB and 8GB RAM.

or

MB Pro 15", 2.2GHz i7, 750GB HD, 6750M with 1GB and 4 GB RAM.

or

MB Pro 17", 2.3GHz i7, 500GB HD, 6750M with 1GB and 8GB RAM.

If an MB Pro I'll prolly buy it with the 27" Thunderbolt Cinema Display.

These may look like som odd configs but these are configs on the computers I can buy through my work so I have no say in this. Apart from the every day things I'm also a gamer, and I like to play games lift Oblivion, The Witcher, Rift and MS Flight Simulator X. So it's vital to me that my future computer can deal with these under Windows 7 64-bit on a Bootcamp partition. I also work with Logic Pro and Final Cut Express, so these are also important apps to me.

Why do I even consider the MB's then? Today I have a 24" early 2008 iMac, 3.06GHz, nVidia 8800GS and 4 GB and a late 2008 MB Alluminium, 2.4GHz and 4GB. I go to work by train everyday and I'm sort of tired of having two computers. However, I'm not sure that these MB's have the juice for my demand so to speak. If I go with the iMac I'll just continue using the 13" MB on the train.

I would like your input and advice with the above in mind.

Thanks a lot :)

Cheers,
    HAH

2. simsaladimbamba

The iMac, as it has the better GPU than the MBP, and as you want to game, you need a better GPU.

3. jmpnop, Oct 7, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2011

jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

iMac by far is a better choice since it performs a lot better than top of the line MBP. Graphics processor on the iMac 27" is quite powerful and can handle games well. MBP has descent graphics but not as good as iMac. Same goes for the processor, iMac is better in every way. If you don't need the portability, surely go with iMac.

4. HAH thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot for your input. I would have gone iMac + iPad but we're not allowed to do that. We only get to buy one computer and the iPad is regarded as such even though it's not quite there yet.

5. simsaladimbamba

You can always buy the iPad yourself, and the iPad is a computer, it just uses another form factor and input method we are used to. The Zuse 1 was a computer too, but they evolved. The iPad is just another step.

6. HAH thread starter macrumors newbie

The thing is that this purchase is deducted from my pay before tax. Otherwise you're right.

Maybe it's down to a matter of opinion. I don't see the iPad as a computer yet as it just can't do all the things a Mac can do. However, the tax office in my country catagorize it as such and hence there's a limit. The iPad is in no way important for me to have but I'd very much like to have one. It would be another way to share some fun with my oldest daugther. The Mac is still a bit too advanced for her; she's 3 years old. I'll get one later on. Maybe I'll wait for an iPad 3 and then strike :)

7. d0vr macrumors 6502a

Your phone is a computer. Probably can't do anywhere near what a tower can do, but it's still a computer.

8. philipt42 macrumors 6502

philipt42

Since you already have the 13", go fer the most souped up iMac you can get!