Upgrading but want to keep iPhone 1g's data plan (at&t)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by maclook, Jun 22, 2009.

1. maclook macrumors 65816

i have the original iPhone which has a cheap $20 data plan under at&t. I want to upgrade but I want to know if it's possible to keep that cheap data plan. so far, it seems to me that i have to bump up to a $35+ data plan now if i upgrade to the 3GS. thanks for any help!

2. Lord Egregious macrumors member

It is impossible. They only had that 20 dollar plan because the iphone wasn't technically a smartphone or something like that when it came out.

3. moka macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

The $20 plan was for edge, 3G is $30

4. maclook thread starter macrumors 65816

ugh...i was really wishing i could secretly switch my phone or do something else behind at&t's back. thanks for the quick response

5. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

the higher cost plan is the reason i passed on the 3G last year, but I jumped from a 2G to 3GS this year. I know it's a lot more... but man, it's sooo worth it. You won't believe how slow EDGE seems once you use the 3GS. :)

6. ejrizo macrumors 6502

ejrizo

I have a 3G on the original iphone data plan and i have had it like that for almost a year now....

i got the phone through a friend tho... so no contract signed to get the phone... put my sim in and bingo... got it going.... i do get harrassed by ATT that my plan isnt compatible(i get a text and email about once a month)... but it sure is because im using it...

7. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Agreed. Fraud rocks!

8. ericvmazzone macrumors regular

AT&T can change your plan to reflect what you are using. It is in the terms of service you signed when you got the phone / plan.

9. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley

For me, 3G speeds are 20x faster than what I was getting on EDGE, so the additional $10 is worth it. :)

10. Carlos E macrumors 6502

Carlos E

You can buy the phone at the no contract price and swap in your SIM card.

11. ejrizo macrumors 6502

ejrizo

i never signed for the 3G only for the original iPhone... if they change my plan i will cancel service with them... im not on contract.... besides i have been doing it for a year now ;)

12. Lgreer macrumors newbie

Changed mine

My friend gave me his old iPhone 3G and I was hoping to keep my 2.5G data plan, but AT&T forced me to upgrade to the 3G data plan. Luckily, it's still unlimited, but with included text messages, it's another $15 ($10 for 3G + $5 for 200 texts).

That's a significant bump in price for me (I don't have a lot of extra money).

Is there any way around this?

13. Amnesia87 macrumors 6502

No.

It's just how it works, and it's entirely automated, and as for ejrizo...

Eventually they will see what you are doing, and bump your plan up, the system automatically scans every now and again to see what phones you are using and if you have an appropriate plan. In theory you could then just reactivate your 2g phone with your sim to switch back to the 2g plan. But you will keep running into the same issue. It doesn't matter which service you signed up for, in the AT&T contract (EVERY SINGLE ONE) it states they can change your plan based on what equipment you are using.

What you are doing right now is the equivalent of paying for basic cable and stealing premium cable. You are using a service that you aren't paying for, and your justification is basically that you are cheap...

Yes you could cancel your plan, but if AT&T changes your plan, they aren't in the wrong. Your argument is simply childish.

14. sp1d3rz macrumors newbie

iPhone 4 on iPhone 1 data plan

Yea, so i recentlly was given a working (screen broken) iphone 1. it was jailbroken and had all of my brothers stuff on it. so i restored it. it wouldnt let me activate until i had a SIM in it. so first i tried my dads sim, he has att, but it wanted me to sign up for a iphone plan. so i managed to put my iP4 sim in the iP1 sim tray and somehow got it to work. (the blue tacky stuff keeps it in place) So i went to activate the phone, only wanted it to use as a clock for my ipod dock, and it asked me to pick a data txt plan. long story short, i ended up activating the iP1 with my iP4 sim card and successfully ended up with an unlimited txt and data plan for $40. My iPhone 4 plan was $30 data and $20 unlimited text. Just wondering if this is gonna mess anything up? I want to call ATT and ask, but im hoping that maybe they wont notice.