Upgrading C2duo Macbook to Santa Rosa?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Emrtr4, Nov 25, 2007.

1. Emrtr4 macrumors regular

I asked this in my help thread but got no response. My blackbook (which is less than 8 months old) seems to have had total logic board failure and I am going to take it to the store in my town (not an apple store, but a certified repair center none the less). I know that nothing was changed in terms of size and design so would it be possible for them to order me a Santa Rosa logic board instead of an older one if they will be covering the warranty?

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

I can't imagine any place doing that. If you really want the new chipset, you will likely have to do it yourself. And if they can do it for you, it will cost a pretty penny.

3. minutePulsation macrumors member

minutePulsation

I don't think they will for one reason. In order to get a part from Apple, they have to order using the serial number of the machine in question. I've run into this in the past... that's here in Canada and I don't know if it differs in other countries.

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The cost of the logic board out of warranty is much more than what you lose simply selling the machine and ordering an upgraded new one.

5. Tshapi macrumors regular

The answer is NO.

it breaks down like this.

to switch out the logic board to a SR. you would need a new CHIPSET since the chipset on the current board most likely isn't compatible with the new SR on and two, you would have to make sure everything else is compatible such as the RAM AND HARDDRIVE and then there is the case. Apple improved the case design when they upgraded to the SR platform interms of fans and such, to compensate for heat.

Oh, and i forgot power. the SR logic board probably has a more powerful power supply than the last version

so the answer is no

6. dynamic macrumors newbie

All the things the guy listed above are actually not problems.

But the actual problems would be because the SRs have the FW800 port meaning it won't fit (and possibly have a different screw configuration on the board), and the bluetooth was also moved to the bottom of the upper case in the SRs and thus the connector to the logic board for the keyboard and trackpad now includes bluetooth which makes it a different size. So basically, everyone is right, it isn't worth the hassle.