upgrading confusion

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jordan eff, Aug 5, 2009.

1. jordan eff macrumors regular

I have searched about this (being sort of new to os x) but nobody has really explained it

in september come time for snow leopard i would like to do an erase and install as theres looads of stuff on my mbp i dot need or use so i'd like to start the new os complete;y fresh, but after installing snow leopard will i still have iLife 09 or do i need to install that separately and if so does that mean i need to by iLife 09

Thanks

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you reformat, you will lose all your data, programs and information on the computer.

If you wish to reinstall iLife, you'll have to do that from your systems disks (just don't reinstall Leopard ;) )

The most popular way to upgrade has been to go the archive and install route. This installs the OS but leaves your home directory intact and of course your apps. This is counter to what you stated but it is the most popular.

3. jordan eff thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for your help

i know about archive and install but i'd rather clean out all the rubbish and start new

i'm guessing the disc your talking about is one of the two discs i got with my mbp

4. MWPULSE macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

What i think is gonna happen in most cases is just a straight up install over the top. But if you really want to erase and reinstall. You would have to reinstall the OSX that came with your computer-i.e leapard. Then you would install the new Snow Leopard, and then the iLife. Although i guess it wouldnt matter if you installed the iLife previous to Snow Leopard, cos Snow Leopard would come with iLife as well (thus it will just upgrade iLife in the process of installing SL)

Everything is kinda still underwraps as far as the upgrade process goes. So nobody is quite sure yet. You can do some forum searches, there are other posts out there, which are quite informative.

PTP