Upgrading CPU (cost vs overall value)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by shadowfayre, Mar 11, 2009.

1. shadowfayre macrumors regular

I am currently using the 1st generation MBP (2.0ghz) and looking to purchase the new mac pro. I feel that the new generation would be the best bet even though current benchmarks make the benefit a bit gray; however, I hope to use this unit for 3 years as I have been now on the MBP (started my third year).

The 2.26 seems like the sweet spot for price and performance and I cannot afford the 2.93. I am considering the 2.66 but the cost difference is quite high.

My question is (and mostly aimed at current MP owners). Have you upgraded your original MP's processor at a later date doing it yourself when the processor is a lot cheaper?

Considering the premium for the Nehalem, is it worth bitting the bullet now or just waiting 6 months and getting the processor cheaper? After all, we ALL know that hardware gets cheaper by the day. :) I dont want to simply buy now and replaced the unit later nor buy now and regret later.

I am a developer by trade, and while this is for my employment, it is still out of pocket (self-employed), so cost and value is important.... reason is even more important.

Thanks.

2. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

What do you want to run on it as a "developer?" Are you considering the quad core Nehalem, too?

3. shadowfayre thread starter macrumors regular

Web Developer; including: the complete CS4 Web Premium Suite and MAMP (MySQL, Apache, PHP) primarily.... others come and go when the time is needed.

I also do alot of still photography and soon (recently purchased Sony HDR-11) HD video photography.

Primary reason I ruled out the single quad was: The right out cannot add second processor later and expected 8GB limits. I know many argues that the single is an entry level version of the base 2008 model, but the lack of the second socket is a killer IMO.

During the work hours, it is not uncommon that I need many applications running at once in the CS4 package among, FF and safari. Other needs is to have several VM sessions running Windows for testing IE compatibility. Currently I cannot really do this efficiently with the MBP.