Upgrading current operating system

Discussion in 'macOS' started by theresuga, Feb 1, 2011.

1. theresuga macrumors newbie

I'm not new to Macs but I'm not very tech savvy so please bear wit me!

I bought my Mac Book about 3/4 years ago, it's on 10.4.something
    Recently I got an iPhone but frustratingly it won't run on my computer (even though it will run on my work PC which has an OS older than 4 years... grrr.... but that's another story).

Now one of the guys at work just got a new Mac and the OS disks in the box are 10.6.4.
    So I am wondering if I can use these on my MacBook to upgrade the system?

But will it wipe the HD? Will all my files and programs be deleted?

I am also hesitant because I have a rather expensive Photoshop package that I paid A LOT of money for but lost the bloody disks and key when I moved house. Obviously I don't want to lose this program either!

So I am reaching out to you very intelligent and enlightened people for your wisdom. Thanks!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The grey install discs that come with a Mac are specific to that model and can't be used on other Macs. If you want to upgrade, buy your own copy.

3. JoshBoy macrumors 6502

JoshBoy

pay

would suggest that you pay the $30 for 10.6 (Snow Leopard) and go home and install it. You will not loose anything however YOU SHOULD ALWAYS BACK UP. ;)

4. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

No you can't use these discs, but you can purchase the latest version of the operating system (i.e. 10.6.something) which is also known as Snow Leopard. Go to the apple website (apple.com) or a retail store to get this. It is really not very expensive and definitely a worth while upgrade. However, it may just be that you have to update your iTunes. Try running a software update. Click the apple in the top left corner and try software update.

If you upgrade your operating system, you do NOT have to erase your hard drive. You can install the update overtop of what you have on your computer without erasing any of your content. As previously mentioned though, it can be a little worrisome as your computer is very vulnerable if the update has an error. The best option is to buy an external hard drive to use as a Time Machine Backup. This will allow you to completely restore your computer in the event of a crash. It will protect your Photoshop from being erased as well. There is some more information about Time Machine on apple's website if you are interested.

Hope that helps :apple: