Upgrading... Don't know what to get.. DJs thoughts/opinions?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by eddiexhart, Nov 23, 2010.

1. eddiexhart macrumors regular

eddiexhart

I currently have a 2.8 15" late 2008 MacBook pro.
    I have a feeling it's gonna need repairs soon and honestly I want something new.
    I'm gonna start DJing and and I have over 26,000 songs.
    I'm trying to decide if I should downsize to a newer 13" and just buy a extrenal Hard drive or buy a used but current i5 15" OR buy a new MBA but don't know how the 11" would work with the software.

My decisions are all over the place!
    I have a buyer that wants to give me $1150 for my 2.8 so I have that much to work with.. So buying from craigslist is most likely where I will be looking..

So DJs what is your current setup or what do you guys recommend?

2. RKpro macrumors 6502

I'm not a dj. but.. you'll probably want screen resolution, and plenty of storage.

2.8 late2008 is still a hell of a machine, you will be downgrading if you get the 13" mbp or the air. An i5 will be faster than your current machine, but probably not by a great deal. You will have more battery life, but you will lose expresscard slow which is handy if you want to move 26,000 songs in a hurry.

I would max the ram, and maybe upgrade the hard drive from your (if you're still running on stock specs) and keep it until the 15" mbp gets a really significant update.

Unless like you said, you're mbp is on it's last legs. You probably didn't mention this to your buyer, did you?

3. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

Like the above poster said, Keep the machine. Upgrade the ram to 4GB or 8GB. Get A new, preferably 7200rpm HDD. And that computer could still last you 2 or 3 more years, if not longer.

4. sbddude macrumors 6502a

For 1100 you could get a 2010 13 inch, upgrade to 1TB drive or 8GB RAM. If screen resolution is an issue, you could step up to the 15 inch but only at a much greater cost.

So after reading your post again, it might be better to just stick with your current machine and max out the storage/ram.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

What sound card do you use?

I use Apogee duet (firewire), which excludes me from MacBook Air.
    Already carry music on external anyway. Also firewire.

Might want a Mac with larger display if you like to see lots of songs on your screen.

6. aeboi, Nov 23, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2010

aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

the air will do anything the 13 pro can do minus the upgradability/battery life/firewire port

my friend is satisfied with the air since it runs all of his DJ software and it's thinner and lighter

traktor pro and ableton live 8, vdj, run very smoothly, like butter on my 13 pro, but I think you should just upgrade your 15" and it'll be fine for a while

or splurge and sell the 15", buy a new 15" high res anti glare