Upgrading early '11 MBP

dano89

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2018
Canada
So I want to upgrade my '11 MBP. I ordered a Samsung 850 Evo 1tb SSD and also got my hands on a Micron C400 128gb SSD for free. I also ordered a Data Doubler. I'm wondering how to set up the MBP so I can run the 125gb as a boot drive and the 1tb as memory storage.

Yurish

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2018
I'm not a mac guru, but to be on safe side I would replace original HDD by Micron C400 128gb SSD and perform a fresh MAC OS install.
After that I would replace CD-ROM by Data Doubler with Samsung 850 Evo 1tb SSD.
Probably you may try to do all at once as well, I guess Mac OS may give you an option to select System disk drive.

slam5

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2011
Hi, I would suggest you put samsung as boot as it is way faster than the c400. Put the samsung as internal is your best bet. I would leave the micron out. Maybe you can use it as a backup?

dano89

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2018
Canada
Hi, I would suggest you put samsung as boot as it is way faster than the c400. Put the samsung as internal is your best bet. I would leave the micron out. Maybe you can use it as a backup?
I could do this for sure. Is the 128 that slow? Is there any way I could use it as sort of an "internal" external drive. Something to store photos and documents and random crap on?

Rocko99991

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2017
I could do this for sure. Is the 128 that slow? Is there any way I could use it as sort of an "internal" external drive. Something to store photos and documents and random crap on?
Yes, noticeably slower. Don't use it for boot no matter what. Just leave it out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.