Upgrading Early 2008 Mac Pro CPU

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by cjrustt, Aug 2, 2015.

1. cjrustt macrumors newbie

Hello, as the title states, I'd like to upgrade the CPU in my Early 2008 Mac Pro. Currently I'm running 2 Quad-Core Intel Xeon 2.6 GHz Processors, and I'd like to upgrade to something more suitable for gaming. I'm not very experienced in building/upgrading computers beyond RAM and Internal Hard drives so I'll be having a friend who's experienced with building computers running Windows helping me. Just looking for some suggestions on which Processors you'd recommend. I'm looking in the $40-80 range but willing to budge a little if it would make a big difference. Thanks for your help.

2. bladerunner2000 macrumors 68000

bladerunner2000

Lack of hyperthreading in those Mac Pros will create a bottleneck even with the highest specced CPUs. Moving to a 2009-2012 Mac Pro will fix that, but you're just buying old tech at this point thats soon going to be obsolete. If you wanna game, build a PC/Hackintosh.

3. Synchro3, Aug 2, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2015

Synchro3 macrumors 65816

Synchro3

I disagree. Six cores will be used by more games in the future. E.g. GTA V plays smooth on my cMP with six core W3690 CPU: http://forums.macrumors.com/threads...-drivers-over-clocking.1882500/#post-21294414
    A lot of games are using six cores of the PlayStation and will be ported to PC.

Quad core i7 even oc'ed to 4 GHz is not better than six core Xeon W3690/X5690. It's no more only the single core performance that counts.

Also note the Direct X 12 topic: http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/bad-performance-on-mp-3-1-with-gtx-970.1904942/#post-21661318

4. Wardenski, Aug 2, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2015

Wardenski macrumors 6502

I don't think there is much you can do to a 3.1. The fastest processor I think is 3.2 Ghz but it doesn't compare well to even i3/i5/i7 of today from a gaming perspective.

It really depends on what games you play I guess, I was able to play Skyrim, Crysis 1 + 2, Far Cry 3 with a 5870 2GB card in Windows on my Octocore 3 Ghz 3.1 Mac Pro at high settings (not ultra) at 1920x1200. Crysis 2/ Far Cry 3 really taxed the 5870 but I suspect in certain situations the CPU is the cause of slowdowns, especially when there are lots of enemies/things occuring on screen. I can't imagine my old Mac Pro would cope that well with Far Cry 4, Metro etc.

I have a gaming PC now so all is well.

5. bladerunner2000 macrumors 68000

bladerunner2000

You may disagree, but the fact is, a single 4790 quad core scores better than any CPU from a Mac Pro, including the 6 cores. Most games dont support dual processor setups, the second CPU is largely ignored. So you don't get any benefit there either. Besides, those 6 cores are as fast as they're going to get. Performance on the 2009-2012 Mac Pros is going to degrade quickly in the coming years.

It's pretty pointless going about the Mac Pro route for gaming... it's at least 3 year old tech. I'd advise against it.

6. Fl0r!an macrumors 6502a

What makes you think that hyperthreading even matters for gaming? It doesn't, a current top-end i5 is all you need, going for an i7 is pointless. Hyperthreading only provides 4 more logical cores which won't even by utilized in most games.

Multi CPU setups are as good or bad supported as the same number of cores on a single chip, every app (including games) won't be able to make a difference

7. netkas macrumors 65816

your best bet is 3.2ghz xeons + overclock it with setfsb windows utility to 3.5ghz.

8. Arron Rouse macrumors regular

If you're going to make such strong assertions, at least try to make ones that don't cancel each other out. If a program supports Hyper-Threading, it supports dual processors. Simple as that.

Clock-for-clock, 8 real cores, even in two separate processors, will almost always be faster than 4 cores with Hyper-Threading. If a single 4 core CPU with Hyper-Threading is out-performing dual 4 core CPUs at a similar clock, it is almost certainly down to memory bandwidth or poor threading. I'm sure you mean well but maybe you should go read about Hyper-Threading before making any more misleading assertions.

9. Arron Rouse macrumors regular

You're probably not going to get anything in the way of a CPU upgrade for $80. In my opinion, you're probably better off with your friend helping you to build a Windows games machine. There are lots more games on Windows. Or get a console. Hook up either one to your TV.