Upgrading (early) 2008 MBP / Ram and SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jeb2814, Jul 15, 2015.

  1. Jeb2814 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2015
    #1
    Hello Mac friends,

    I've been an avid reader of this forum for many years but never had a reason to register and ask a question till now since i can usually find what i am looking for on another thread.

    I'm going to try and delay my purchasing of a new computer until all the new fancy processors come out and found this guide online for upgrading my current mac book pro.

    http://stacks.11craft.com/how-to-up...8-macbook-using-ssd-and-bootable-backups.html

    my question is if i use a different SSD then the one recommended is it still compatible? will it still work the same? This is my first attempt at an upgrade to this machine and want to make sure i order all the correct parts.

    Recomended part:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...N=B009NHAF3I&linkCode=as2&tag=matthewscott-20

    what i am thinking of using:
    http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-2-5-Inch-Internal-MZ-75E500B-AM/dp/B00OBRE5UE/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

    Also i will be upgrading the ram as well and found the stick i need.

    Any other recommendations would be a big help. Thanks in advance!
     
  2. prisstratton macrumors 6502

    prisstratton

    Joined:
    Dec 20, 2011
    Location:
    Winnipeg
    #2
    The Samsung 850 EVO that you have selected should work no problem, it is just a newer model than when the article was written.

    I think you will be very pleased with the performance increase. I upgraded a similar spec’d Windows laptop that I gave to my nephew when I purchased my MBP and he is still using it.
     
  3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2013
    #3
    I personally wouldn't put any money into a machine that old and I also wouldn't worry about new chips unless I had a specific need for gaming on a dGPU or thunderbolt 3 for a 5K monitor, any other changes will be so minor as to make it not worth worrying about.

    What I would worry about is soldiering on with an old slow machine for another 6-9 months waiting for something that is going to be only marginally better than what I could get now.
     
  4. Sully macrumors regular

    Sully

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2007
    #4
    I did the same thing to my 2007. It's like a new computer and it will easily get me to the next upgrade cycle so that I don't have to pay $3,000 for a 2 and 1/2 year old cpu. Well worth the $100 I spent for the upgrade.
     

Share This Page